Re: High-level network programming: is C language suitable for that?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Malcolm McLean, Apr 27, 2012.

  1. בת×ריך ×™×•× ×—×ž×™×©×™, 26 ב×פריל 2012 17:50:57 UTC+1, מ×ת pozz:
    > I'll start a new application in a short time and I'm wondering if C
    > language is good enough for that.
    >
    > The application will be simple: it should implement some TCP/UDP
    > protocols (like TFTP, BOOTP,...) with a simple GUI. It will run on
    > Windows platforms, but the possibility to run it on Linux would be nice.
    >
    > Is C language suitable for this kind of applications? Which kind of
    > cross-platform libraries should I use to manage IP protocols and simple
    > GUIs? Could python or other high-level (script) languages be a better
    > choice?

    C is an OK choice. basically you need ab it of logic, which you can do in any language with equal ease, and you need to call libraries to run the GUI and the network code.
    C will take a bit longer to debug than a higher-level language, but on the other hand almost everyone knows it, and it doesn't provide funny features which tempt to mess about and play with the language's capabilities, ratherthan get the job done. The problem is the libraries. Qt is probably your library of choice if you want a windowing system that runs under both Windows and Linux. But I haven't used it myself. It's also unacceptably difficultto integrate a library with a C compiler. However, unlike other languages,C won't suddenly go obsolete on you.

    Malcolm McLean, Apr 27, 2012

  2. Malcolm McLean

    Rui Maciel Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > C is an OK choice. basically you need ab it of logic, which you can do in
    > any language with equal ease, and you need to call libraries to run the
    > GUI and the network code.

    It's worth mentioning that it's quite possible, if not desirable, to
    implement stuff such ass protocol handling as a separate component. This
    means that it's quite possible to use the C programming language to develop
    protocol handling while employing some other programming language to
    implement the GUI.

    This may add a bit of complexity to a project, but it's the price to pay to
    be able to get the best of both worlds.

    Rui Maciel

    Rui Maciel, Apr 27, 2012