Re: hosting provider that supports ASP.Net and telnet/Terminal Server access to virtual server?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lucas Tam, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Bennett Haselton) wrote in

    > So, are there hosting providers that allow telnet / Terminal Server
    > access for virtual server accounts? Or am I missing some other reason
    > why this is usually disallowed?

    A user can upload their own executables to their account and run them via
    telnet.

    It's pretty hard to lock down an NT server completely - especially when
    telnet access is given.

    You can get terminal services login on some servers - but usually only on
    dedicated/virtual private accounts.

    Anyhow, with .NET, you don't need telnet...!!! : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Lucas Tam <> wrote in message news:<Xns93DBC74D12C91nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
    > (Bennett Haselton) wrote in
    >
    > > So, are there hosting providers that allow telnet / Terminal Server
    > > access for virtual server accounts? Or am I missing some other reason
    > > why this is usually disallowed?
    > >

    > A user can upload their own executables to their account and run them via
    > telnet.

    Yes, but those executables would run as that user. So that wouldn't
    create any extra danger because the executables wouldn't be able to
    modify or read any files or registry settings that the user wouldn't
    be able to modify or read by themselves.

    > It's pretty hard to lock down an NT server completely - especially when
    > telnet access is given.
    >
    > You can get terminal services login on some servers - but usually only on
    > dedicated/virtual private accounts.

    Yeah, any place will give it to you if you get a dedicated server; I'm
    trying to get it on a virtual/shared server since they're much
    cheaper.

    > Anyhow, with .NET, you don't need telnet...!!! : )

    Well even if I don't *need* it, I *want* it so I can run command-line
    scripts and executables that work with data stored on the server side.

    -Bennett

    Bennett Haselton, Aug 19, 2003