Re: How are users supposed to run Java programs in server mode underWindows?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Knute Johnson, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. Graham Jones wrote:
    > I am new to Java, but not to programming. I am interested in scientific
    > computing, and this can be a serious time-consumer. From the recent
    > "Matrix performance question" thread I learned that running Java
    > programs with -server can make a huge difference, like twice as fast.
    >
    > It doesn't seem easy to get Java to use server mode under Windows.
    > Although I had previously installed the JDK, doing "java -server ... "
    > gave an error. Following advice that I found on the interweb (which
    > advice described itself as a 'dirty trick'), I have now copied a
    > directory called 'server' from a jdk directory to a jre directory, and
    > now it works. Very few end-users are going to go through this
    > performance. So what is the official way, and how are non-technical
    > people (eg biologists) supposed to find it?
    >
    > Graham

    That's how it's done. If you package up a program with a JRE you can
    include it. I mutter under my breath every time I update some remote
    Java installation and forget to copy over the server directory.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2008/

    Knute Johnson, Nov 25, 2008