Re: How Do I Embed Music............

Discussion in 'HTML' started by SwissCheese, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    ....starting to think maybe we should just drop back to telegrams or morse
    code. How about we answer the question with how to start the music and how
    to stop it if a user doesn't want to hear it?

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Thanx for the info brucie, BTW I totally agree with you, background music
    > does suck..............BIG TIME.
    >
    > Many thanx
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > Checked and certified Virus Free by Norton Internet Security
    > (www.symantec.com)
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > Can anyone please show me the coding to embed music into an html web

    page.

    SwissCheese, Jun 26, 2003

  2. SwissCheese schrieb:
    > How about we answer the question

    How about you do?

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jun 26, 2003

  3. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    If I knew the answer, I would have given it. I also know that it can be
    done as it has been discussed on one of these newsgroups before.

    I am simply getting tired of having to hold back because I should be
    afraid someone may not want to upgrade or doesn't want to see certain kinds
    of media (swf, etc.), but maybe we should think of this:

    1) Computers keep getting faster...
    2) Bandwidth keeps growing/getting faster...
    3) Multimedia is a big part of our everyday life...
    4) Serving #3 is becoming easier, faster and is not the problem with #2 that
    it used to be... except for those that wish to
    continue to receive their e-mail and digital photos of the new baby by pony
    express. (yes, I know there are exceptions)

    ....maybe by continually avoiding use of the technology as it grows we are
    perpetually keeping people from the need to advance. I have no problem with
    designing a web site to accomodate as many people as possible... but let me
    use the technology at hand to accomplish it, don't be so fast to jump on
    someone because they mention using something that for some reason someone
    feels is 'evil'. If someone wants to stay with Lynx then fine but they are
    going to miss out on something. As technology goes on, I believe that
    everything we do will be done via the internet (we won't have tv stations
    anymore - just channel web sites).

    Ok, a little long winded... sorry. :)

    SwissCheese, Jun 27, 2003
  4. SwissCheese

    Headless Guest

    "SwissCheese" <> wrote:

    >If I knew the answer, I would have given it. I also know that it can be
    >done as it has been discussed on one of these newsgroups before.

    This is not a help desk, it's a discussion group. If someone is about to
    make a mistake we will put forward the reasons why you shouldn't be
    doing that, and if you're lucky present you with the proper way how to
    do it.

    Instead of complaining about why we don't help you to do what you want,
    why don't you try and formulate the case against linking.

    The case against embedding can be found in this thread.

    >If someone wants to stay with Lynx then fine but they are
    >going to miss out on something.

    That's a pathetic attempt at distorting the argument against embedding
    in the idle hope of disguising the fact that you con't be bothered to
    investigate the issues and formulate a case against linking.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 27, 2003
  5. SwissCheese

    rf Guest

    "SwissCheese" <> wrote in message
    > ??????
    > > This is not a help desk, it's a discussion group.

    > ??????

    Yep. That's correct.

    If you want help desk service then send money.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 27, 2003
  6. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    I guess then that i'll thank Brucie for giving the best answer with his
    suggestion of links... as for the 14 posts of argument over what tag is what
    is simply a waste (of bandwidth?) time. The links on Brucies post give alot
    of VERY useful informationbut seem say pretty much what I think. Let me put
    what I want on my pages as long as it degrades gracefully. My plan is to
    have at least 2 versions of my site (sharing graphics of course). I have a
    'splash screen' that I will use to determine if/what the client supports
    either through Javascript/object detection and or cookies for user
    prefs/database and degrade from there. My purpose is to have a 'basic' site
    that anyone can use and an 'advanced' site that those with
    broadband/eyecandy can use if they choose.

    SwissCheese, Jun 27, 2003
  7. SwissCheese

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "SwissCheese" <> wrote:

    > My purpose is to have a 'basic' site that anyone can use and an
    > 'advanced' site that those with broadband/eyecandy can use if they
    > choose.

    I'm a broadband user and I'll choose the basic site.
    Why?
    The reason I got broadband was to get at the things I was after
    quicker, not to get more stuff just as slowly as before.
    I'm probably not alone.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jun 27, 2003
  8. SwissCheese

    Headless Guest

    "SwissCheese" <> wrote:

    >My plan is to
    >have at least 2 versions of my site (sharing graphics of course). I have a
    >'splash screen' that I will use to determine if/what the client supports
    >either through Javascript/object detection and or cookies for user
    >prefs/database and degrade from there. My purpose is to have a 'basic' site
    >that anyone can use and an 'advanced' site that those with
    >broadband/eyecandy can use if they choose.

    1) Splash pages suck.
    2) Who says that users are coming in via your splash page?
    3) What's the purpose of the "Javascript/object detection" if you really
    intend to offer all users a choice? Are you not in fact planning an
    attempt to autodetect capabilities? If so then you have in fact no
    intention to offer users a choice. And all methods to autodetect
    capabilities are flawed.
    4) The extra "basic site" is redundant, do your work properly and one
    site will satisfy all users.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 27, 2003
  9. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    > I'm a broadband user and I'll choose the basic site.

    And you would have that choice to make. I plan on only using auto-detect
    methods to decide what to offer as choices, not to force things onto a user.
    But seriously though; are you saying that you never take advantage of your
    broadband connection to view content that you would not have spent the time
    on at 56/28k speeds? I know for me that I often find myself clicking a link
    that I know leads to alot of extra stuff - but I don't fret about it because
    that is why I got broadband in the first place, I was tired of excluding
    sites because of connection speed, etc. Or, I should say that I now click
    links to pages and I don't think to myself "Man, I sure hope there isn't
    alot of things going on on this web site!" Now, it's not even a
    consideration.

    > The reason I got broadband was to get at the things I was after
    > quicker, not to get more stuff just as slowly as before.

    I tend to think that now-a-days most broadband connections deliver 'more
    stuff faster than before' instead.

    SwissCheese, Jun 27, 2003
  10. SwissCheese

    SwissCheese Guest

    > 1) Splash pages suck.

    I could probably/and may do without my splash page... it's not that it's
    so important. I could do my capability detection on the second page.
    Actually, I have some ideas for better use of my splash page that will help
    me keep from doing things on other pages (pop-ups, etc. I hate them as much
    as the next guy).

    > 2) Who says that users are coming in via your splash page?

    Chances are they will - at least the first time... My site is basically
    three pages (splash, info, and dynamically created photo pages via
    PHP/MySQL). My site appears to bookmark as it should (thanks to not using
    frames - i'm learning). If they don't then they will get the 'basic' site
    (but they will also be notified that an enhanced version exists so that they
    may take a look - if they want.)

    > 3) What's the purpose of the "Javascript/object detection" if you really
    > intend to offer all users a choice? Are you not in fact planning an
    > attempt to autodetect capabilities? If so then you have in fact no
    > intention to offer users a choice. And all methods to autodetect
    > capabilities are flawed.

    If JS is not detected then only the basic site is served (no choices to
    make), if it is detected then there are two choices -Basic- and -Enhanced-,
    If no choice is made then obviously only the basic site need be delivered.
    As far as autodetecting capabilities goes - that's they way you make sure
    your code works as expected and has nothing to do with 'not offering users a
    choice'.
    SwissCheese, Jun 27, 2003
  11. SwissCheese

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "SwissCheese" <> wrote:

    >> I'm a broadband user and I'll choose the basic site.

    > And you would have that choice to make. I plan on only using auto-detect
    >methods to decide what to offer as choices, not to force things onto a user.

    Puzzling. I'd offer everything to everyone, but provide enough
    information to let the user make an informed choice (i.e. typical
    download times at various connection speeds; what extras are offered
    on the fat version, etc.). I know enough to know that "auto-detection"
    simply isn't reliable enough.,

    >But seriously though; are you saying that you never take advantage of your
    >broadband connection to view content that you would not have spent the time
    >on at 56/28k speeds?

    Viewing content? Not really. I've actually noticed that people
    frequently ask me "Have you see the trailer for..." and I haven't.

    Downloading files? Yeah, I can now download stuff in the background
    during the working day that previously would have been overnight jobs.
    But I think that falls into the 'same stuff faster' not 'more stuff
    just as slow' category.

    > I know for me that I often find myself clicking a link
    >that I know leads to alot of extra stuff - but I don't fret about it because
    >that is why I got broadband in the first place, I was tired of excluding
    >sites because of connection speed, etc. Or, I should say that I now click
    >links to pages and I don't think to myself "Man, I sure hope there isn't
    >alot of things going on on this web site!" Now, it's not even a
    >consideration.

    Maybe the sort of web sites that interest me don't have much of the
    high bandwidth sort of content. I still find myself disabling images
    to get the text content faster, even with broadband.

    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    And this should have gone at the top not at the bottom....

    Steve Pugh, Jun 27, 2003
  12. SwissCheese

    DU Guest

    Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

    > SwissCheese schrieb:
    >
    >>How about we answer the question

    > How about you do?
    >

    > Matthias

    Here's a modest try:

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/Netscape7/SoundInNetscape7.html

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/Netscape7/SoundInMSIE6.html

    Note that background sound is different from music, actually. The former
    is always on and never disableable while the latter should be stoppable.

    DU
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jun 28, 2003