Re: How do I implement a navigation bar?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Desmond, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. Desmond

    Desmond Guest

    On 19 Apr, 20:42, Edwin van der Vaart <>
    wrote:
    > fed up wrote:
    > > For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
    > > got any athoring software.

    > > How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
    > > each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
    > > alter the navigation bar.

    > > I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

    > Then there is one option, but every web-designer and search engines
    > dislike it. It's called frames. Put the navigation in one frame and the
    > content in the other. That way you don't need to use server-side scripting.
    >
    > See explanation: [http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp]
    > See example:
    > [http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_frame_naviga...]
    > --
    > Edwin van der Vaarthttp://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors siteshttp://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    > Explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers, onlinemarketingtoday,
    > 24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
    > gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
    > this post.

    No I don't need frames use a <div id=menu> and set its position in a
    style sheet to left = 0 top = 0
    and place content in a second <div id=content> to the right.

    ** style sheet is here **
    #menu
    {
    position:absolute;
    left:0px;
    top:0px;
    width:150px;
    height:360px;
    padding-top:0px;
    }

    #PageContent
    {
    position:absolute;
    font-family:verdana,helvetica,arial;
    font-size: 14px;
    position:absolute;
    left:150px;
    top:0px;
    width:600px;
    height:360px;
    border-width: 0px;
    margin-top:5px;
    margin-left:5px;
    }

    Desmond, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Desmond

    Bergamot Guest

    Desmond wrote:

    > #PageContent
    > {
    > position:absolute;
    > font-family:verdana,helvetica,arial;
    > font-size: 14px;
    > position:absolute;
    > left:150px;
    > top:0px;
    > width:600px;
    > height:360px;
    > border-width: 0px;
    > margin-top:5px;
    > margin-left:5px;
    > }

    ick :(

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Desmond wrote:
    > On 19 Apr, 20:42, Edwin van der Vaart <>
    > wrote:
    >> fed up wrote:
    >>> For reasons I won't go into, I can't use server side includes & I haven't
    >>> got any athoring software.
    >>> How can I implement a navigation bar? I need to include the same text into
    >>> each file. I don't want to edit every single file when I put up a new page &
    >>> alter the navigation bar.
    >>> I'm prepared to use xhtml & xsl, if clear instructions are given.

    >> Then there is one option, but every web-designer and search engines
    >> dislike it. It's called frames. Put the navigation in one frame and the
    >> content in the other. That way you don't need to use server-side scripting.
    >>
    >> See explanation: [http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp]
    >> See example:
    >> [http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_frame_naviga...]

    > No I don't need frames use a <div id=menu> and set its position in a
    > style sheet to left = 0 top = 0
    > and place content in a second <div id=content> to the right.

    Of course the OP have to use a block element <div>. But better is an
    unordered-list <ul> for the menu. However the OP want to put one menu in
    every single page. The OP need to include the same text into each page
    and _don't want_ to edit every single file when the OP put up a new page
    & alter the navigation bar. The OP can't use sever-side scripting. So
    the OP can only do an Ajax include script
    [http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ajaxincludes.htm] or using
    frames.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart