Re: How do I setup scrolling text between a banner and a footer in HTML 4.01?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by spaghetti, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. spaghetti

    spaghetti Guest

    "Vince C." <> wrote in message
    > I used to do this with a TABLE both height and width set to 100% and the

    central
    > cell height to 100%. But if I include the DOCTYPE for HTML 4.01 a 100%

    high cell
    > covers the entire window height. It also results in always having a

    vertical
    > scrollbar; header and footer always overflow whatever their size.

    You mean something like this?

    http://aspyre.net/temp/alt.html/for-vince.html

    The above doesn't work in Internet Explorer, but it's the proper way and it
    works fine in Opera and Mozilla. It degrades rather well for IE.

    Or do you mean something like this?

    http://aspyre.net/temp/alt.html/for-vince-2.html

    spaghetti, Jun 23, 2003

  2. spaghetti

    Vince C. Guest

    Thanks a lot, spaghetti (you make me hungry, now ;-) I owe you a beer.

    See below.

    "spaghetti" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Vince C." <> wrote in message

    [...]
    > You mean something like this?
    >
    > http://aspyre.net/temp/alt.html/for-vince.html

    In MSIE6 I see a header and a footer that both are scrolled. In fact
    everything lies in a single page that is scrolled, header and footer
    included. I'd like header and footer to remain at their respective position
    but the footer to follow the bottom border of the canvas.

    > The above doesn't work in Internet Explorer, but it's the proper way and

    it
    > works fine in Opera and Mozilla. It degrades rather well for IE.
    >
    > Or do you mean something like this?
    >
    > http://aspyre.net/temp/alt.html/for-vince-2.html

    In MSIE, this is closer to what I'd like to achieve. Header and footer
    remain at their initial position and footer follows the bottom border of the
    canvas. Besides I'd like the content to be scrollable instead of the body.
    But I suppose I can then combine "overflow" style in both the body and
    #content, am I right?

    BTW does the latter give the same results in most browsers? Or is this
    (behaviour) MSIE-specific?

    Thanks again,
    Vince C.

    Vince C., Jun 24, 2003