Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have VS o

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Juan T. Llibre, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. You don't need VS to access the WAT.
    All you need is a browser.

    re:
    > Are there other methods/utilities to mange that aspnetdb.mdf besides ASP WAT?

    To create the database, use aspnet_regsql.exe,
    found in the .Net Framework 2.0 directory.

    You can write your own classes to modify the DB's data,
    or use an OR mapper to create the classes for you.

    You can also add fields to existing tables, and/or add new tables,
    and use them for whatever purpose you want to use them.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    I tried entering the following link in a web browser

    http://localhost:1701/asp.netwebadm...sonalWebsite\&applicationUrl=/PersonalWebsite

    If the VS is open then it connects to WAT but if the VS is not open I get

    The page cannot be displayed

    without the port number in the request I get:
    Requested URL: /asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx

    How do you access the WAT with a web browser if VS is not installed on the
    system?
    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?=, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    re:
    > How do you access the WAT with a web browser if VS is not installed on the
    > system?

    You can't.

    You *can* start the webserver manually, and run any disk-based files,
    but the admin files must be launched from within VS 2005 because
    there's a VS class which accepts 4 parameters :

    the port to use, the physical path to the webadminfiles directory,
    the application's PhysicalPath and the application's Url

    Here's an example of starting the
    ASP.NET Development Web Server from the command-line:

    start /b webdev.webserver /port:1544 /path:"c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
    Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\AppDir"

    That will start the server on port 1544 with the default file in the AppDir directory.

    WebDev.WebServer.exe ( the ASP.NET Development Web Server executable ) is located in :

    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    OK. Its getting clearer. Thanks you so much for your replies.

    What do I do on a deployed web server that does not have VS installed?
    Does IIS have the webdev.webserer installed? Or Can I install just the web
    development server on any machine without VS being installed?
    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?=, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    re:
    > What do I do on a deployed web server that does not have VS installed?

    webdev.webserver.exe is all you need.
    There's a WebDev.WebServer.exe.manifest file, too, but it's not really needed.

    re:
    > Does IIS have the webdev.webserver installed?

    No. IIS uses its own web server.
    webdev.webserver.exe is a "lightweight" IIS, with no management features.

    I'm pretty sure webdev.webserver.exe is installed with the .Net Framework 2.0,
    but cannot confirm since I've got 2 machines : one had vs2005 and the other
    has vs 2005 Express, and they both install the Web Server.

    In any case, since you have VS 2005 on at least one machine,
    you can simply copy webdev.webserver.exe to wherever you'd like.

    > Or Can I install just the web development server
    > on any machine without VS being installed?

    Yes.

    You can start it with batch files, per the sample I posted, to save some time, too.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Thanks Juan for your informative input.

    Hi Morris,

    The website files of configuration are installed with .NET 2.0 Framework,
    which reside in
    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles; however,
    the built-in web server WebDev.WebServer.EXE is installed with Visual
    Studio 2005. You can either try Juan's suggestion to copy the
    WebDev.WebServer.EXE manually or refer to my reply in following thread to
    learn how to use IIS to enable the configuration website:

    #Membership providers in dotNet 2.0 in dotnet.languages.csharp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.publi
    c.dotnet.languages.csharp&tid=f56d83e8-aa3f-4d40-b29c-2cfd56e888ee&cat=en-us
    -msdnman&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

    Besides aspnet_regsql.exe can be used to create the database; you could
    also use Management.SqlServices.Install("server", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD",
    "databasename", SqlFeatures.All) to create it via code.

    #SqlServices Class (System.Web.Management)
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.management.sqlservices.a
    spx

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 11, 2006
  7. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Checking status of this post...

    Morris, would you please reply here to let us know if it's solved? Thanks.

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 13, 2006
  8. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    re:
    > Is it possible to launch WAT in the method described above?

    I thought I had already suggested to you why I thought that won't work.
    Maybe David can come up with a solution.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Hi Morris,

    I think you pass the wrong path to webdev.webserver.exe, it's the
    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles instead of
    your web site path.

    Anyway, please check out my other post I mentioned previously for more
    information. I'm pretty sure it should work on a Win2003 with only .NET 2.0
    framework installed. Let me know if you're still having troubles.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 14, 2006
  10. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Walter,

    in my relatively extensive test scenarios I was never
    able to start the Web Administration Tool from a command-line.

    I can start the Development Web Server just fine, although I did notice a small bug in
    that the virtual directory specified is ignored (i.e., the files are always opened in the root),
    but I have invariably failed when attempting to run the WAT from the command-line.

    Can you provide a complete example of a command line which will start the WAT ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 14, 2006
  11. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Juan,

    Previously I was using IIS 6.0 to configure a virtual directory for the WAT
    and it works correctly.

    I just tested again using the WebDev.WebServer.EXE, here's the findings:

    1) To make the WebDev.WebServer.EXE work on a system only with .NET 2.0
    Framework installed, you need to copy WebDev.WebServer.EXE,
    WebDev.WebServer.EXE.config, and install an assembly WebDev.WebHost.dll to
    GAC.
    2) By default, the MemberShip provider is using SQL Server 2005 (or SQL
    Server 2005 Express), so you need it installed on the system too.

    I've created following batch file:

    ===========wat.bat=============

    @echo off
    setlocal
    if /i "%~1"=="" (
    @echo Usage: wat [port] [physicalPath] [root]
    @echo Example: wat 12345 c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website /website
    goto:EOF
    )
    set
    server="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\WebDev.WebServer.EXE"
    set
    webfiles="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles"
    if exist %server% (
    start /dc:\ "" %server% /port:%1 /path:%webfiles%
    /vpath:"/asp.netwebadminfiles"
    start iexplore
    "http://localhost:%1/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPa
    th=%~2&applicationUrl=%~3"
    ) else (
    @echo Local WebDev.WebServer.EXE not found, please configure %webfiles%
    as a virtual directory in IIS as /wat
    start iexplore
    "http://localhost/wat/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=%~2&applicationUr
    l=%~3"
    )

    ================================

    To test it, simple create an empty directory, for example: c:\temp\website,
    and run following command:

    wat 12345 c:\temp\website /website

    Let me know if this works on your side.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 14, 2006
  12. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Attached the batch file in case the lines get wrapped.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 14, 2006
  13. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Walter, thanks for the batch file.

    I think that some extraneous charaacters were introduced somehow.

    The "~" character isn't supposed to be used in batch files, right ?

    So, I eliminated all of its instances :

    > if /i "%~1"=="" was changed to : if /i "%1"==""
    >applicationPhysicalPath=%~2&applicationUrl=%~3"

    was changed to : >applicationPhysicalPath=%2&applicationUrl=%3"

    ....etc.

    Did I do the right thing ?

    I then copied two files, from a site I created especially for this test, to d:\temp\website

    I then ran the command :
    wat 1234 d:\temp\website /website

    ....which produced this URL...but with a warning from WebDev.WebServer.EXE:

    http://localhost:1234/asp.netwebadm...lPath=d:\temp\website&applicationUrl=/website

    The warning from WebDev.WebServer.EXE was that the syntax was wrong.

    I figured that /asp.netwebadminfiles was not correct to begin with,
    since vpath is supposed to be a virtual path, not a physical one, right ?

    So, since my virtual directory for WAT is named "webadmin", I changed

    start /dc:\ "" %server% /port:%1 /path:%webfiles% /vpath:"/asp.netwebadminfiles"
    start /dc:\ "" %server% /port:%1 /path:%webfiles% /vpath:"/webadmin"

    ....and again ran the batch file :

    wat 1234 d:\temp\website /website

    And got back this error page :
    http://localhost:1234/webadmin/error.aspx

    ---000---
    An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.

    The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: A configuration file cannot be created for the
    requested Configuration object. at System.Configuration.MgmtConfigurationRecord.SaveAs(String
    filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode, Boolean forceUpdateAll) at
    System.Configuration.Configuration.SaveAsImpl(String filename, ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode,
    Boolean forceSaveAll) at System.Configuration.Configuration.Save(ConfigurationSaveMode saveMode) at
    System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.SaveConfig(Configuration config) at
    System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.VerifyAppValid()
    ---000---

    I tested the very same app, using the WAT from inside the VS IDE, and it worked fine.
    I added a user and created a role.

    The URL used by VS for that successful URL was :
    http://localhost:4697/asp.netwebadm...Path=D:\temp\website\&applicationUrl=/website

    Interestingly enough, if I run that very same URL:
    http://localhost:4697/asp.netwebadm...temp\website\website\&applicationUrl=/website
    from IE's address line, I get back the error : "The page cannot be displayed",
    preceded by a pop-up with the standard usage help from WebDev.WebServer.EXE

    I'm a bit puzzled. Can you shed some light on this ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 14, 2006
  14. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Juan,

    The %~ syntax in batch file is used to remove the quotes if the variable is
    enclosed in quotes.

    Just in case the lines get wrapped, I posted another message which attaches
    the batch file; however you have to use Outlook Express to download that.
    You could also send me an email and I will send the file to you.

    Morris,

    Would you please reply here to let us know if your question gets answered
    or not? Thanks.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 15, 2006
  15. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    re:
    > Just in case the lines get wrapped, I posted another message which attaches
    > the batch file; however you have to use Outlook Express to download that.
    > You could also send me an email and I will send the file to you.

    Thank you, I did download it, Walter.

    I ran it as directed, but the result was the same.

    I cannot get the Web Administration Website to run unless I run it from within
    VS 2005 by selecting "Project", "ASP.NET Configuration" from the "Website" menu.

    Sorry. I wish I had better news for you.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 15, 2006
  16. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    I am following your repartee with Juan who is now asking the same question I
    started with, I am working on another project an could not try anything
    today.
    I would like to get that batch file also but could not. I will send you an
    email soyou can send the file, then I can try that here as well.

    If I may backup a minute and ask a more general question:
    How does an end user administrator add / update user with roles on a asp.net
    website if VS is not installed? Am I going about this in the wrong way?
    What is the common practice here? Is WAT they way every one does this?

    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?=, Dec 15, 2006
  17. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    OK. When I tried you method from the posting at the other group (which seemed
    like the answer I was looking for)
    I got the following in IE 6.0
    Server Error in '/aspnetadmin' Application.

    Access is denied.
    serve this request. The server may not be configured for access to the
    requested URL.

    Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server
    configuration. Verify that you have permission to view this directory or
    page based on the credentials you supplied and the authentication methods
    enabled on the Web server. Contact the Web server's administrator for
    additional assistance.

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.42

    How do i get past that? And as per my previous reply is this the right path
    to provide user/role admin of an asp.net website?

    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?=, Dec 15, 2006
  18. Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Hi Morris,

    You need to configure the virtual directory to use Integrated Windows
    Authentication:
    1) In IIS manager, bring up properties dialog for /wat (the virtual
    directory name you cofigured for
    "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles")
    2) Click tab "Directory Security", click button "Edit..." in the
    "Authentication and access control"
    3) In the Authentication Methods dialog, uncheck "Enable anonymous access"
    and check "Integrated Windows authentication"

    As for the question on how to manage users/roles in production environment.
    It's actually can be done in several ways.

    The first option is to use WAT. WAT can only be used on localhost, also
    this is not the supported official way. Though based on my test, it's
    merely a asp.net web site and should be usable on a system where ASP.NET
    2.0 is installed correctly.

    The second option it to create your own management interface as following
    example code demonstrated:

    #Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Member/Role Management with IIS, Part 2:
    Implementation (ASP.NET Technical Articles)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASP2memroleman.asp?frame
    =true

    The third option is to manage in non-ASP.NET context using MemberShip APIs.
    My colleague Steven Cheng just wrote a blog about this:

    #MSDN Managed Newsgroup Support Team Blog : Manage database of ASP.NET 2.0
    Membership & Role services in non-ASP.NET context
    http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnts/archive/2006/12/16/asp-net-2-0-membership-role-
    management-out-of-asp-net-context.aspx

    Please feel free to reply here is you are unable to use either of these
    methods.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Dec 18, 2006
  19. Juan T. Llibre

    mocoder Guest

    Re: How do you acces ASP.NET WAT on a Web server that doesnt have

    Walter

    The last set of instructions you sent did the trick. That is exactly what I
    was trying to do. It works just fine and I understand it only works on the
    local server which suits m purpose.

    I will also review and try the other two methods you refer to below.

    Thanks again for your assistance with this issue.
    Morris Neuman
    SpeechSoft

    mocoder, Dec 20, 2006