Re: How do you execute VB code that resides in a Text File...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by CES, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. CES

    CES Guest

    What I'm really looking for is the vb.net equivalent to eval() that is in
    VBScript... but alas it's not their.
    CES

    "CES" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >

    > I'm trying to figure out how I would execute code that would be shared

    over
    > a number of wwwroot folders.
    >

    > Basically it would be the equivalent of an .inc file only instead of
    > residing below the wwwroot it would exist above (FYI - I want to do this

    so
    > when information changes on a page like my "Terms of Use" it will be
    > reflected throughout each site I maintain) as apposed to changing the file
    > for each domain.
    >

    > I've tried using StreamReader but have run into a problem. the page loads
    > (with the .txt file Embedded in the page without any problem) but the VB
    > code in the file is not executed:
    >

    > 'This is the code that calls the appropriate file.
    >

    > accountRoot = "\\server\root_Folder\"
    >

    > Dim footer_file As New IO.FileStream(accountRoot & "_includes\file.txt",
    > IO.FileMode.Open, IO.FileAccess.Read)
    >
    > Dim myReader As New IO.StreamReader(footer_file)
    >
    > Dim footer_txt As String
    >
    > footer_txt = myReader.ReadToEnd()
    >

    > response.write(footer_txt) ' I've tried server.execute(footer_txt) but I'm
    > getting error messages even when the page is empty.
    >

    > -XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-
    >

    > 'This is what is returned to the browser (note - That the <%
    > =DatePart("yyyy", Now) %> is returned but is invisible on the page.
    >

    > .

    > Copyright <% =DatePart("yyyy", Now) %> - XYZ, Inc. - All rights

    reserved.

    > .
    >

    > I've just switched from VBS to VB so I'm sure this is the wrong approach

    so

    CES, Oct 1, 2003

  2. CES

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    have a look at the system.process namespace

    Alvin Bruney, Oct 2, 2003