Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Despite my optimism that this bug reported on 8 November
    (www.segal.org/java/sun_jit/) would get processed quickly there has been no
    word from Sun after more than three weeks. One would hope that reproducible
    crash bugs would get treated with a greater sense of urgency.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I just heard from a senior person at Sun who wrote "Will look into the bug
    and resolution. Stay tuned."

    I'm impressed. Stay tuned.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    >I just heard from a senior person at Sun who wrote "Will look into the bug
    >and resolution. Stay tuned."

    The folks at Sun said the bug exposed by the test applet at
    www.segal.org/java/sun_jit/ seems to be fixed in early versions of 1.6.

    There was only one report in this thread of someone (Larry Barowski) trying
    the test applet under 1.6, and he did not see crashes using 1.6, but he also
    did not see crashes using 1.5. In contrast, many others using 1.5 were able
    to reproduce the crashes very quickly. Hopefully the lack of crashes seen
    by the folks at Sun in 1.6 is characteristic of all 1.6 users and not some
    other factor that seemed to protect Barowski from the bug under 1.5.

    It would be helpful if other people using 1.6 could report whether or not
    they see crashes using the test applet.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    > The folks at Sun said the bug exposed by the test applet at
    > www.segal.org/java/sun_jit/ seems to be fixed in early versions of 1.6.

    I didn't realize that downloads of JRE 1.6 are available at
    http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries/. I installed the latest build (1
    Dec 05; build 62) and the crashes in the test applet are gone and it seems
    like the crashes in our huge applet are gone too.
    Mickey Segal, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Mickey Segal wrote:

    > "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The folks at Sun said the bug exposed by the test applet at
    >>www.segal.org/java/sun_jit/ seems to be fixed in early versions of 1.6.

    > I didn't realize that downloads of JRE 1.6 are available at
    > http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries/. I installed the latest build (1
    > Dec 05; build 62) and the crashes in the test applet are gone and it seems
    > like the crashes in our huge applet are gone too.

    Good to see it is resolved for the updates. :)

    [ I never saw anything that suggested a workaround for earlier VM's ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci, javasaver, 1point1c, lensescapes - athompson.info/andrew
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 7, 2005