RE: How to avoid a warning message box when sending email via Outlook

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Dermot Doran]

    | I'm very new to using win32com! I just want to send an email
    | message via Outlook. However, I keep getting an annoying
    | message box (generated by Outlook) indicating that my program
    | could be a virus. Does anybody know how to get around this?

    As far as I've ever been able to tell, you're stuck with it.
    Obviously, in a sense, since otherwise any would-be virus /
    zombie program would simply turn the option off before using
    Outlook to send out its emails!

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Tim Golden, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Tim Golden

    Giles Brown Guest

    Tim Golden wrote:

    > [Dermot Doran]
    >
    > | I'm very new to using win32com! I just want to send an email
    > | message via Outlook. However, I keep getting an annoying
    > | message box (generated by Outlook) indicating that my program
    > | could be a virus. Does anybody know how to get around this?
    >
    > As far as I've ever been able to tell, you're stuck with it.
    > Obviously, in a sense, since otherwise any would-be virus /
    > zombie program would simply turn the option off before using
    > Outlook to send out its emails!

    Can't remember the details, but last time I looked (a year ago) you
    could avoid this if you changed a setting for the user at the exchange
    server. I found this out by doing a bit of googling and
    can't remember what I did, but managed to solve the same problem.

    Giles

    Giles Brown, Aug 31, 2006

  3. On 2006-08-31, Tim Golden <> wrote:
    > [Dermot Doran]
    >
    >| I'm very new to using win32com! I just want to send an email
    >| message via Outlook. However, I keep getting an annoying
    >| message box (generated by Outlook) indicating that my program
    >| could be a virus. Does anybody know how to get around this?
    >
    > As far as I've ever been able to tell, you're stuck with it.

    There is a DLL you can use to call Outlook to avoid that.

    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/

    It wraps the Outlook COM objects and accesses them in a way
    that doesn't trigger the warning. [The security BS is bypassed
    if you call DLL entries directly from C/C++ instead of via the
    COM interface.]

    > Obviously, in a sense, since otherwise any would-be virus /
    > zombie program would simply turn the option off before using
    > Outlook to send out its emails!

    Like most of Microsoft's "security" features, it provides zero
    real protection and a lot of real annoyance. Anybody who
    really wants to can bypass it.

    "Where do you want to be frustrated today?"

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Today, THREE WINOS
    at from DETROIT sold me a

    Grant Edwards, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Tim Golden

    Steve M Guest

    > [Dermot Doran]
    >
    > | I'm very new to using win32com! I just want to send an email
    > | message via Outlook. However, I keep getting an annoying
    > | message box (generated by Outlook) indicating that my program
    > | could be a virus. Does anybody know how to get around this?

    The users in our office have a little program called ClickYes.exe that
    sits in the system tray and automatically clicks yes when this pops up.
    Hardly elegant but it solves their problem.

    Steve M, Aug 31, 2006