RE: How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tablesandcolumns in tables)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Chris Brat]

    | Is it possible to retrieve details about the database, specifically a
    | list of the tables in the database; and then to retrieve the columns
    | and their types for the tables?
    |
    | Is this dependant on the database?

    In effect it's dependent on the database. We're assuming you're
    talking about a relational databases for a start, since other
    databases don't necessarily even have tables. The major databases
    may support the INFORMATION_SCHEMA standard (random link:
    http://www.devx.com/getHelpOn/10MinuteSolution/20561) but they
    may not -- I don't think sqlite does, for example -- and their
    implementations may well vary etc.

    In short, try INFORMATION_SCHEMA first. Failing that, look
    at the specific db docs for the gen.

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk

    Tim Golden, Aug 22, 2006