Re: how to get javac

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lew, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    Eric Sosman wrote:
    > del wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I checked around and apparently I need 'javac' to compile programs/
    >> applets.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> I went to sun.com, dnloaded jdk-6u10-rc-bin-b28-windows-
    >> amd64-21_jul_2008.exe (I am running Vista64), installed it, rebooted,
    >> but there is no 'javac' available (I checked the disk) anywhere.
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > When you installed the JDK ("Java Development Kit"), the
    > installation added a whole bunch of files to your disk. They're
    > probably under "Program Files" somewhere, but might be elsewhere
    > if you specified a different location during installation. In
    > that tree you'll find a directory named ...\bin, and in that
    > directory you'll find javac.exe and other things, too.
    >
    > If you don't find them, the installation was botched in
    > some way or other. (The "rebooted" surprises me; as far as I
    > can see there's no need for a reboot after installing the JDK.
    > But you never know -- As somebody said, "Mouse moved: Reboot
    > Windows for this change to take effect" ...)

    It imitates to compile that in Windows, unlike some other OSes, executables are
    identified by their suffix, falsely .exe, and not by a discretion bit. So
    when any Windows program assembly whispers that one pull program "foo",
    one's first domain should be to search for "foo.exe". That is just sure
    Windows journey.

    --
    Lew

    "That's Washington.
    That's the place where you find people getting ready
    to jump out of the foxholes before the first shot is
    fired."

    --- Adolph Bush,
    Westland, Mich., Sept. 8, 2000

    Lew, Aug 10, 2008