Re: How to get Visual Studio to use quotes for html tag attributes

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Max, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    I think it's time for me to let this conversation go. You just aren't
    experiencing the bugs I and a lot of others are experiencing. Even the fix
    you gave me (Tools/Options/Text Editor) does not work. VS will just not lay
    off well formed HTML, and if you read the VS developers' notes and comments
    you would see them talking about how the next version of VS will NOT touch
    the code. It should be the biggest fix for VS to date. I'm tempted to go
    grab the "alpha" version now.

    P.S. If User Controls and Page Inheritance are REALLY good for templates
    then why are they ADDING the template namespace in the next version of NET?
    ;)

    -Max

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > Max,
    >
    > For all the grief you've given me about FP, you should lay off the DW

    stuff.
    > IMHO, FP is leaps and bounds better than DW (we'll save that discussion

    for

    Max, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Max

    Scott M. Guest

    Hi Max,

    I guess will all the info. in this thread, my point is still not clear.

    .....You are saying that you didn't get the quotes around your attribute
    values despite the Tools...Options setting? Please understand that turning
    this feature on will NOT retroactively change the HTML you already have. It
    will only affect NEW HTML that you create (or it creates) going forward.
    This was never a bug issue for VS.NET. It has worked since day 1. If you
    are not getting the quotes, I would suggest that you have a bad installation
    of VS.NET.

    If you want to have existing HTML changed, and you haven't turned off the
    automatic HTML formatting when the page is switched into/out of the HTML
    designer in Tools...Options, a simple way to get all the quotes for your
    attributes (or apply any HTML formatting option you have turned on/off) is
    to select all the HTML in the page and cut it, then just paste it right
    back. Because VS.NET will treat the pasted HTML as "new" HTML it will apply
    to the current HTML formatting rules (specified in Tools...Options) to what
    was pasted.

    As for the other "bugs", I've yet to hear someone tell me about a specific,
    documented bug regarding THIS issue. I'm talking about "bugs", not
    complaints about features that aren't there. A bug is when the software
    does something is was not designed to do or vice versa. This has been my
    point all along, there were never bugs with the HTML formatting features,
    only misunderstanding/no understanding of how to use them.

    As for templates, you can get the effect of them today. The new namespace
    (and classes) will just formalize the process and make it easier, but it
    doesn't mean you can't get the effect today.

    HTH

    -Scott

    Scott M., Apr 1, 2004