Re: How to play mp3 on web?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Aug 16, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    007 <> wrote:

    > The subject is known but on Google it gives on first hit articles from
    > year 2006.
    >
    > What is simple and neat amd (c) is not important - meanning: if they
    > want to d/load my stuff, thay can. That is not an issue.
    >
    > The issue is - what to use?
    >
    > Help please...
    >
    > Link to something simple and... latest...
    >
    > TIA

    On a Mac, it is easy. You download the MP3 and can play it in the
    Finder soon as you see it in Column view. Literally, in the
    column to the right of the file comes a player bar... As to other
    ways, many programs will play MP3s, from Quicktie to even
    dragging the thing over an open browser window (if the browser
    has the right plugins, Quicktime mostly for me)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 16, 2010

  2. asdf wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> 007 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The subject is known but on Google it gives on first hit articles
    >>> from year 2006.
    >>>
    >>> What is simple and neat amd (c) is not important - meanning: if they
    >>> want to d/load my stuff, thay can. That is not an issue.
    >>>
    >>> The issue is - what to use?
    >>>
    >>> Help please...
    >>>
    >>> Link to something simple and... latest...
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> On a Mac, it is easy. You download the MP3 and can play it in the
    >> Finder soon as you see it in Column view. Literally, in the
    >> column to the right of the file comes a player bar... As to other
    >> ways, many programs will play MP3s, from Quicktie to even
    >> dragging the thing over an open browser window (if the browser
    >> has the right plugins, Quicktime mostly for me)

    > I've used freebie flash-based mp3 players in the past with good results.
    >
    > E.g. (not necessarily mine):
    > http://home.vicnet.net.au/~carlcomm/html/carltonps/schoolsong.html
    >
    > Look at the plugin, not the song :)
    >
    > No doubt you will find later versions of free flash mp3 players.
    >
    > It works in just about every browser (for those with flash, which is
    > almost everybody), on every platform regardless of whether or not they
    > have the evil (ducks, but they *are* evil, thanks to their distribution
    > licence) quicktime installed or not.

    Of course this shifts the problem to whether or not they have the (arguably
    more) evil Flash player installed. With the proliferation of non-x86
    systems and the increase in mobile browser usage, there may well be a
    portion of your visitors who are unable to listen to audio that is only
    available through a Flash-based player.

    My suggestion: if you choose to go the Flash route, make sure that you have
    a fallback for those users who can't (or don't want to) install Flash.

    Personally I detest Flash due to its horrible performance on anything that's
    not Windows/x86 (not to mention its rather poor security track record) but
    that doesn't mean that it's not a perfectly suitable tool for a lot of
    folks.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Robert Tomsick, Aug 16, 2010