Re: How to program a quick sort function?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Eric Sosman, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Thomas Dean wrote:
    > It is said that quick sort has been the fastest sorting algorithm so
    > far.

    Only someone who doesn't know what he's talking about
    would say such a thing so baldly, without qualification.

    > So how to program it?

    In the language of your choice. While you're still
    familiarizing yourself with what's involved, it will be
    helpful to use a language (like C) that allows recursive
    subroutine calls.

    "Engineering a Sort Function" by Bentley and McIlroy
    is a must-read, but it sort of assumes you already know
    something about Quicksort. Write a "baby steps" version
    of your own to familiarize yourself with what's involved,
    and read Bentley&McIlroy afterward.

    > If you know, could you please teach me? Thank you anyway.

    Homework? What do your teacher and your textbook say?

    Not homework? There are lots of Quicksort explanations
    on the net; GIYF.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid