Re: HTML for mobile phones?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <>
    wrote:

    >If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
    >what are the rules?
    >
    >I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
    >xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

    I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
    That's something the phone designer needs to do.
    What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
    display that comes along? Bull.

    richard, Jul 31, 2008

  2. richard

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    richard wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
    > >what are the rules?
    > >
    > >I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
    > >xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

    > I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
    > That's something the phone designer needs to do.

    No it isn't, it is up to the web designer to make their stuff work the
    best it can on any device, includeing aural browsers and mobile
    devices.

    > What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
    > display that comes along? Bull.

    No that is not really the idea. If you right valid mark-up with CSS
    that also validates then any device that can render HTML and CSS will
    be able to be used on your site. Includeing mobile phones.

    Chaddy2222, Jul 31, 2008

  3. richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    On Jul 31, 5:34 am, richard <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:42:26 -0500, Chris <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If I want to make a website easily accessible by most mobile phones,
    > >what are the rules?

    > >I did a bit of googling, and it looks like you can use plain html,
    > >xhtml, WAP/WML, and other things. What are most people doing these days?

    > I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
    > That's something the phone designer needs to do.
    > What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
    > display that comes along? Bull.

    Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
    for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
    iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
    are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
    Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
    is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

    SpaceGirl, Jul 31, 2008
  4. On Jul 31, 2:14 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > wrote:
    > No it isn't, it is up to the web designer to make their stuff work the
    > best it can on any device, includeing aural browsers and mobile
    > devices.

    As modern handheld devices and screen readers move into the 21st
    century, they (hand held) will all move to the same paradigm the
    iphone has where the entire page gets zoomed, and readers will become
    more intelligent . I look forward to the day this argument is moot.

    You know it's coming. Like anything else, the time frame just depends
    on the demand.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    Travis Newbury, Jul 31, 2008
  5. richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    On Jul 31, 11:28 am, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
    fliam.php> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul 2008, SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 31, 5:34 am, richard <> wrote:

    > >> I don't think that's a problem the web designer needs to worry about.
    > >> That's something the phone designer needs to do.
    > >> What are we supposed to do? Design a site for every type of new
    > >> display that comes along? Bull.

    > > Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
    > > for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
    > > iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
    > > are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
    > > Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
    > > is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

    > My market is Kroger but I don't really see the connection...?
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    > Great sights and sounds

    If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
    to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
    perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
    types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
    web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
    money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
    maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
    they'll spend more money.

    SpaceGirl, Jul 31, 2008
  6. richard

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jul 31, 10:52 pm, SpaceGirl <>
    wrote:
    > On Jul 31, 11:28 am, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
    >

    > fliam.php> wrote:

    > > > Maybe. The number of *big* sites that have slightly adapted themselves
    > > > for better iPhone support is astounding. Even the BBC site has an
    > > > iPhone specific tag in it now to help with the display width. There
    > > > are also many iPhone specific alternatives of popular sites now -
    > > > Flickr, FaceBook etc. So while you may say "bull", commercial reality
    > > > is something else... but that very much depends on your market?

    > > My market is Kroger but I don't really see the connection...?

    > > --
    > > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
    > > Great sights and sounds

    > If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
    > to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
    > perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
    > types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
    > web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
    > money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
    > maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
    > they'll spend more money.- Hide quoted text -

    But it depends on the market. If the site is for a product that a
    large amount of people would want to buy, I am thinking perhaps an
    online shot here), then a site that works everyware would be a better
    option. Most of the sites that I design for community organisations
    are such sites. They need to work on just about any device.

    Chaddy2222, Jul 31, 2008
  7. richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    On Jul 31, 9:47 pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
    fliam.php> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul 2008, SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    > > If a large percentage of a particular market are more or less likely
    > > to want to use the products/services that are on your web site, you
    > > perhaps may want to tailor your web site so that it better suits the
    > > types of devices those visitors are using; put a sexy iPhone tailored
    > > web site up and those folks with expensive toys will maybe spend some
    > > money with you. Throw another generic works-everywhere site up and
    > > maybe they won't? Make your audience feel "special" and perhaps
    > > they'll spend more money.

    > Sure, that's part of the primary axiomatic business sense of, uh,
    > business.  IOW, do whatever you can to SELL!  I just thought it was a
    > little obvious and offered a tidbit of irony as, uh, food for thought.

    It may seem obvious, but its very easy to get caught up the this whole
    "make everything work everywhere" trend that seems to be popular
    amongst some techies. I'm guilty of it sometimes too :)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 1, 2008