Re: HTML in email

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Zak McGregor, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Zak McGregor

    Zak McGregor Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:43:25 +0200, Cogito <"Cogito"
    <>> wrote:

    > What needs to be changed or added to standard HTML code to make it work
    > in email?

    Email is a plain text format.

    Ciao
    Zak

    http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs

    Zak McGregor, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Zak McGregor

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Zak McGregor wrote:
    > Email is a plain text format.

    That was 5 years ago :)

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Zak McGregor

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    EightNineThree wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt wrote
    >> Zak McGregor wrote:
    >>> Email is a plain text format.

    >> That was 5 years ago :)

    > <Long list of disadvantages of HTML Email and advantages of plain text>

    OK, thanks for the links.
    In general I know the disadvantages.
    I think however that the advantages like professional presentation exceed
    the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very
    efficient in discussions with customers or in instructing them.
    With a good virusscanner and firewall I think the riscs are acceptable.
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Zak McGregor

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> writes:
    > the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very

    The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

    Some programs can be configured to automatically translate that into
    underlined and bold. How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Jul 31, 2003
  5. "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > EightNineThree wrote:

    > >> That was 5 years ago :)

    > > <Long list of disadvantages of HTML Email and advantages of plain text>

    > OK, thanks for the links.
    > In general I know the disadvantages.
    > I think however that the advantages like professional presentation exceed
    > the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very
    > efficient in discussions with customers or in instructing them.
    > With a good virusscanner and firewall I think the riscs are acceptable.
    > Regards, Nico

    The advice I give is twofold -
    1) ALWAYS give the recipient a choice before sending them HTML email. Since
    HTML email is mostly used for newsletters, this option can be presented
    during the opt-in process. If people aren't actively opting themselves in
    for the newsletter then that means the sender is a spammer and should be
    hung by their entrails.
    2) Take the audience into consideration. If most of the audience is using
    IE6 and Outlook, then its a good bet that they're stupid enough to accept
    HTML email. If the audience mostly uses *nix, then you'll probably want to
    avoid HTML email. For the most part, they're not using mail clients that get
    HTML email and the ones that can are smart enough to know why they shouldn't
    use it.

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

    EightNineThree, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Zak McGregor

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Chris Morris wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt" <> writes:
    >> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is
    >> very

    > The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

    Ehhh, if you send this to a potential customer you probably loose a client.

    > Some programs can be configured to automatically translate that into
    > underlined and bold.
    > How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

    Many. Think of a revision of a document where a couple of persons are
    involved.
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Zak McGregor

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> writes:
    > Chris Morris wrote:
    > > "Nico Schuyt" <> writes:
    > >> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is
    > >> very

    > > The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

    > Ehhh, if you send this to a potential customer you probably loose a client.

    Likewise if you send a HTML email to a potential customer using a
    client that doesn't (or has been configured not to) support it.

    > > How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

    > Many. Think of a revision of a document where a couple of persons are
    > involved.

    I wouldn't handle that solely over email if at all possible, but when
    I've had to the standard '> ' quoting conventions have been fine. And
    how many HTML email clients support <ins> and <del> in any meaningful
    way anyway - without that I'm not sure how the change from text to
    HTML really makes document revision tracking easier (plus you only
    need one person involved in the revision using a plain-text mode
    client and it starts to go very wrong).

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Zak McGregor

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Chris Morris wrote:

    >>> Likewise if you send a HTML email to a potential customer using a
    >>> client that doesn't (or has been configured not to) support it.

    >> Never met one so far (maybe because I don't have so many customers
    >> :) and can't imagine someone is upset because someone sends him an
    >> HTML-mail. In fact I've sent several thousands of HTML emails to
    >> hundreds of persons in the last 3 years and never heard someone
    >> complain.

    > Perhaps many of your hundreds of clients do not display the HTML and
    > only the text. Or... perhaps they have filters set to send HTML mail
    > directly to the bit bucket. Like mine <g>.
    > <snip>

    One of my customers does HTML mailings (300-400 messages) every two weeks
    with the MySQL-database on his site and a PHP program I wrote. It's
    important information for the receivers. Still no complaints about not
    receiving it or about other problems.

    >> On the other hand, if I send a complex message as an Word
    >> attachment, I notice that people have problems opening it.

    > Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually
    > have Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also
    > receive Word docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no
    > idea if I have any software to read it.

    Problem is not that people don't have MS-Word. A lot of them don't know how
    to open it after receiving a mail.
    Same problem with pictures.

    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Zak McGregor

    Kris Guest

    In article <HddWa.54860$>,
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:

    > Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually have
    > Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also receive Word
    > docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no idea if I have any
    > software to read it.

    That is because they don't use Word; they 'use Windows'. And they don't
    use IE; they 'start the Internet'. :)

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Zak McGregor

    Cogito Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:50:51 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    <> wrote:

    >Kris pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    >> In article <HddWa.54860$>,
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually have
    >> > Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also receive Word
    >> > docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no idea if I have any
    >> > software to read it.

    >> That is because they don't use Word; they 'use Windows'. And they don't
    >> use IE; they 'start the Internet'. :)

    ><ROF,L> Funny, but true...
    >
    >"What do you mean 'other browsers?' What's a browser?"

    Hey guys,
    Instead of all this idle chatter can someone actually tell me how to
    send html-email?

    Cogito, Aug 1, 2003
  11. Zak McGregor

    Cogito Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:59:21 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    <> wrote:

    >Cogito pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    >>
    >> Hey guys,
    >> Instead of all this idle chatter can someone actually tell me how to
    >> send html-email?
    >>

    >If I wanted to send HTML email, I would write a script. Or more
    >accurately, enhance one that I've already written to add the HTML markup
    >to the text. Look at the source of any HTML email you have received and
    >mimic it.

    This is exactly what I'm doing, but it does not always work.
    I noticed that the first line is always

    <x-html>

    Following this line I copy and paste my html and send it. For some
    html code it is received properly formatted, and then at times it is
    received as plain html text.

    Is there anything that I'm missing?

    Cogito, Aug 1, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    am says...
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:50:51 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Kris pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > >> In article <HddWa.54860$>,
    > >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:

    > ><ROF,L> Funny, but true...
    > >
    > >"What do you mean 'other browsers?' What's a browser?"

    > Hey guys,
    > Instead of all this idle chatter can someone actually tell me how to
    > send html-email?

    You were told. You said it was too hard. You were also told that if you
    wanted to know how to do it in your specific email program then you
    should ask in the appropriate group.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Aug 1, 2003