Re: HTML vs XHTML

Discussion in 'XML' started by Nick Kew, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <ujNSa.473703$>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Aarron <> wrote:
    > I understand that XHTML "combines the strength of HTML 4 with the power
    > of XML" ... but how is an XHTML document immediately better than a well
    > formed HTML page.

    It isn't. Unless you have a specific need to run it through an XML
    processor that won't take HTML.

    > I'm fairly anal so these are all things I would normally try to do in an
    > HTML document anyway.

    Indeed. And you can apply validator switches ( -fully-tagged in OpenSP,
    or "fussy" mode in Page Valet) that enforce all that for you.

    You can also convert HTML <--> XHTML in software, so whatever you have
    now is fine if you should have some compelling reason to change at
    a future date.

    When someone tells you XHTML is better than HTML, it's a fair bet
    they're using "HTML" to mean tag-soup.

    --
    Nick Kew

    In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html