Re: HTML5 browser support

Discussion in 'HTML' started by idle, Mar 20, 2012.

  1. idle

    idle Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:32:00 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote in alt.html:

    > I tried out the input type=date HTML5 tag, which is very useful for an
    > application I'm designing, but only Opera supports it, not Firefox 11 or
    > IE8. It's really amazing that the latest version of Firefox doesn't
    > support this very useful tag. Why is that the case?

    Actually it's covered by Chrome and Safari as well.
    It it what it is, has always been, shall always be.
    You cannit tell me that you've not experienced the browser wars yet??

    There may be a fix though. Much has been written on the write arounds.
    Google Modernizer, PIE, etc.

    --
    idle
    None of us is as good as all of us.

    idle, Mar 20, 2012

  2. idle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > I found this: http://html5test.com/
    >
    > What amazes me is that no browser has a full score (475 points). Is
    > there any reason why the developers of Firefox wouldn't want to be fully
    > compliant with HTML5?

    Perhaps the reason is not that they don't want to. Perhaps it is
    difficult to do technically, perhaps there are legal and commercial
    agreements to be made and perhaps there is not unlimited funds as
    incentive to hurry more.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 20, 2012

  3. 2012-03-20 23:12, dorayme wrote:

    >> What amazes me is that no browser has a full score (475 points). Is
    >> there any reason why the developers of Firefox wouldn't want to be fully
    >> compliant with HTML5?

    > Perhaps the reason is not that they don't want to. Perhaps it is
    > difficult to do technically, perhaps there are legal and commercial
    > agreements to be made and perhaps there is not unlimited funds as
    > incentive to hurry more.

    And perhaps it is somewhat difficult to comply with something that keeps
    changing, even on daily basis.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 20, 2012
  4. idle

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <jkaqbj$euv$>, idle says...
    > > On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:32:00 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote in alt.html:
    > >
    > > > I tried out the input type=date HTML5 tag, which is very useful for an
    > > > application I'm designing, but only Opera supports it, not Firefox 11 or
    > > > IE8. It's really amazing that the latest version of Firefox doesn't
    > > > support this very useful tag. Why is that the case?

    > > Actually it's covered by Chrome and Safari as well.
    > > It it what it is, has always been, shall always be.
    > > You cannit tell me that you've not experienced the browser wars yet??
    > >
    > > There may be a fix though. Much has been written on the write arounds.
    > > Google Modernizer, PIE, etc.

    > BTW, I found this: http://html5test.com/
    >
    > What amazes me is that no browser has a full score (475 points). Is
    > there any reason why the developers of Firefox wouldn't want to be fully
    > compliant with HTML5?

    Because the spec is incomplete, amongst other things.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Mar 20, 2012
  5. idle

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <jkas9v$q8f$>, Jukka K. Korpela says...
    > > And perhaps it is somewhat difficult to comply with something that keeps
    > > changing, even on daily basis.

    > HTML5 keeps changing on a daily basis? How can this be possible?

    Because the spec is incomplete. Why are you having such difficulty with
    this simple concept?

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Mar 20, 2012