Re: HTML5 code for Chrome

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Aug 19, 2012.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > My site works reasonably well (sort-of anyway) for most browsers now,
    > but Chrome make a royal mess during rendering.
    > Is there a place that gives clues and hopefully examples of
    > Chrome-acceptable HTML5 code?

    The first question, before looking at special Chrome deficiencies, is
    to make sure your website has none.

    What do you mean sort-of OK in other browsers, that is intriguing? Can
    you make a test case if you do not wish to give a url to the real
    thing, something that shows all browsers rendering something in your
    page one way (sort of) and Chrome rendering it quite another or not at
    all?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 19, 2012

  2. On 08/20/2012 03:55 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article<>,
    >> Robert Baer<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My site works reasonably well (sort-of anyway) for most browsers now,
    >>> but Chrome make a royal mess during rendering.
    >>> Is there a place that gives clues and hopefully examples of
    >>> Chrome-acceptable HTML5 code?

    >> The first question, before looking at special Chrome deficiencies, is
    >> to make sure your website has none.
    >>
    >> What do you mean sort-of OK in other browsers, that is intriguing? Can
    >> you make a test case if you do not wish to give a url to the real
    >> thing, something that shows all browsers rendering something in your
    >> page one way (sort of) and Chrome rendering it quite another or not at
    >> all?
    >>

    > OK; look at my site,home page only: http://www.oil4lessllc.com/
    > Use IE6, IE7, IE8, IE9, FireFox, Opera, and Chrome.
    > Chrome cannot get the menu right, and dumps the text that is
    > associated with the sliding images, and it...enough of its deficiencies;
    > it is the only one that craps up; even IE5 does better.
    >
    > My ideal is to have all of them show the same in a 800x600
    > environment without a bottom bar (ie rendering is wider than 800px).
    >
    > I have a detailed query, with some code and a screen shot; where can
    > i post that?
    > Thanks.

    Took a look at your site in

    Chrome Version 22.0.1221.1 dev,
    Firefox 14.0.1,
    Thunderbrowse 3.81 (Gecko)

    Anything that has to do with the 'sliding; images is borked in all
    three browsers when viewed at your target resolution. At 1280x1024 it
    looks better but still doesn't look right... there is a thin gap
    underneath the text where the three small circle links are. Below all
    that is fine.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

    Norman Peelman, Aug 21, 2012

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<>,
    > > Robert Baer<> wrote:
    > >
    > >> My site works reasonably well (sort-of anyway) for most browsers now,
    > >> but Chrome make a royal mess during rendering.
    > >> Is there a place that gives clues and hopefully examples of
    > >> Chrome-acceptable HTML5 code?

    > > The first question, before looking at special Chrome deficiencies, is
    > > to make sure your website has none.
    > >
    > > What do you mean sort-of OK in other browsers, that is intriguing? Can
    > > you make a test case if you do not wish to give a url to the real
    > > thing, something that shows all browsers rendering something in your
    > > page one way (sort of) and Chrome rendering it quite another or not at
    > > all?
    > >

    > OK; look at my site,home page only: http://www.oil4lessllc.com/
    > Use IE6, IE7, IE8, IE9, FireFox, Opera, and Chrome.
    > Chrome cannot get the menu right, and dumps the text that is
    > associated with the sliding images, and it...enough of its deficiencies;
    > it is the only one that craps up; even IE5 does better.

    Just a few comments, probably not quite what you want...

    I am looking at your home page in my Mac browsers first. In Opera,
    nothing slides, even the "Popular Links" bottom left is entirely
    missing. The arrows in the latter slide in Chrome, as in other Mac
    browsers. In Opera, the page is not easily usable, never finishes
    the shadow underline of the show to appear way below in the middle of
    text.

    On Windows the situation is similar, Chrome does not seem that
    different to the others. But Win Opera seems to work as well as the
    others

    I mention all this because I think the design is way too complicated
    and too high-wire to be a stable and good page, consider carefully
    before expending time fixing this or that particular thing. Also look
    at what happens when a user uses text size you are not expecting.

    (I still have not finished

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/differentEyesights/textSpill.html>

    but, there may be some tips for you in this old fashioned spiel of
    mine <g>)

    btw, if you go to

    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    you can check your CSS under CSS3 (which is less supported by browsers
    but at least it's bottom line for the author css to conform)

    You have a stray word, "dot" in your HTML, below your footer.

    > My ideal is to have all of them show the same in a 800x600
    > environment without a bottom bar (ie rendering is wider than 800px).

    Very few people will happen to view your page at this size. Best to
    design for nearly everyone. Your central "slide show" takes up a lot
    of space. And there are lots and lots of problems with different less
    than aesthetic things happening in different browsers.

    > I have a detailed query, with some code and a screen shot; where can
    > i post that?

    You can put the screenshot up on a page on a public server, even
    include a PRE of the code, Or you can include the code (markup and
    css) in the usenet post. If it is a css query best to go to ciwas. If
    it is an authoring issue not really related to css, ciwa, if unsure,
    good old alt.html should be OK.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2012
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Re: HTML5 code for Chrome Works now..

    In article <>,
    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > >> On Windows the situation is similar, Chrome does not seem that
    > >> different to the others. ...

    > Chrome was rendering junk; heard there was some kind of debug mode
    > and tried that.
    > Stepped thru the HTML code one-by-one and all of a sudden the menu
    > which rendered like a list, *changed* to a single line like it should be.
    > All of the rest also changed to what it should be.
    > *
    > So, here i had a browser that consistently crapped the code and got
    > fixed by using the debug mode (once)!

    Whatever it was, it was peculiar to something in your browser. if you
    cannot repeat it, don't worry about it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 25, 2012
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    <http://www.sitepoint.com/why-browser-sniffing-stinks/>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 26, 2012
  6. Robert Baer wrote:
    > Have found two different ways to uniquely detect Opera..so that is
    > solved.
    > Now, how do i "switch" to a different HTML page?

    With JavaScript as it has been posted numerous times.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 28, 2012
  7. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Have found two different ways to uniquely detect Opera..so that is
    >> solved.
    >> Now, how do i "switch" to a different HTML page?

    > With JavaScript as it has been posted numerous times.

    ...and still likely not necessary. Seems to me it would be more prudent to
    just fix whatever it is that doesn't work in his Opera browser. (I wonder
    if it would work in *my* Opera browser?)

    A lot of effort for a 0.2 to 0.8% of browsers... (the amount of Opera
    browsers connecting to my web sites).

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 28, 2012
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Have found two different ways to uniquely detect Opera..so that is
    >>> solved.
    >>> Now, how do i "switch" to a different HTML page?

    >> With JavaScript as it has been posted numerous times.

    > ..and still likely not necessary. Seems to me it would be more prudent to
    > just fix whatever it is that doesn't work in his Opera browser. (I wonder
    > if it would work in *my* Opera browser?)
    >
    > A lot of effort for a 0.2 to 0.8% of browsers... (the amount of Opera
    > browsers connecting to my web sites).

    Unfortunately what is prudent, facts, and whatever is not important to
    the OP, he has set his mind to "what must be done". To suggest otherwise
    is moot.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan