Re: https sites??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    "Anonymous Sender" <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I read somewhere that when you go to one of these sites, the site can
    > see exactly who you are and your isp, even if you are using a proxy. Is
    > this true?

    No.

    It simply means the site is probable using secure socket layer (SSL) to
    encrypt the traffic between the host and the client. This makes it
    impossible for anybody *else* to look at the traffic.

    This has nothing to do with looking at your system and determing who you
    are, which anybody can do if you have not closed your ports correctly with
    an appropriate firewall or proxy server.

    PS, don't believe everything you read.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 1, 2003

  2. rf

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 1, 2003

  3. rf

    Steve Pugh Guest

    My Liege <> wrote:

    >"rf" <> wrote in
    >

    >Editting pleasantness in place of patronizing attitude to make usenet a
    >more enjoyable experience for everyone.

    Aw shucks and I thought ML was my own personal secretary. Seems that
    he's been tarting his services around the whole group. Shame.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Aug 1, 2003