Re: I have a problem with this:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
This is the internet .. correct spelling, punctuation, or even common
courtesy(it appears) is not required at any given moment in time.

Perhaps (this is Usenet, after all). However, not using proper spelling
and grammar reduces your credibility as a genious lol

This is not the first time you've misspelled 'genius'

Jenn

Beauregard said:
Perhaps (this is Usenet, after all). However, not using proper
spelling and grammar reduces your credibility as a genious lol

This is not the first time you've misspelled 'genius'

oh well ... I'm sure there are other words I don't spell correctly when I'm
either in a hurry or tired. I'll try to find some more so you will be
entertained. ;)

Jeremy J Starcher

Previous reply got sent before I could add this. The best thing would
be to have a virtual PC in one window. Then, in that virtual PC install
Linux. Put the server in that environment.

My netbook's disk space (8G) is too precious for that...
Hmm. Here is something I haven't done before -- copy a file from my
Windows environment onto the file system of my virtual PC. I'll have to
investigate how to do that.

Depends on your virtual machine. most of the time I find it easier to
mount the host drive from inside the client then mount the client drive
inside the host...

Or just use scp, but that doesn't come as naturally to me.

Jeremy J Starcher

WAMP or XAMPP for Windows users makes a fine testing bed. The only other
thing to consider is that it's now a server and needs to be locked down.
Whereas, with an online shared host, most of that is taken care of for
you. Unless you write hackable scripts of course. :)

Doesn't it only bind to 127.0.0.1?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeremy said:
Doesn't it only bind to 127.0.0.1?

Probably. I don't remember for sure, as I stopped using Windows about
four years ago. But I do remember that the WAMP server was visible and
usable from other boxen on my LAN. So it might mean that if anyone can
get into the LAN, the WAMP server is vulnerable.

Jonathan N. Little

Jeremy said:
My netbook's disk space (8G) is too precious for that...

Or find an old PC, dirt cheap and put Ubuntu server on it for
development. I have a pair of old Dell Opt-plexes with Ubuntu servers
and an old PIII Mandrake server with local copies of legacy sites...

Neredbojias

This is not that rare (well, both nostrils is a bit out there, I
think). Quite a lot of people pitch or bat left handed who are not
otherwise left handed.

I have a friend who is left handed. Shoots left handed, throws left
handed, bowls left handed, etc etc. He does *everything* with his
left hand -- except write. Completely bizarre. Watching him switch
the pen from right to left to draw is kind of amusing.

Large drawing, like on a whiteboard with magic markers, I can do with
either hand pretty equally - if I don't think about it. Anyway, it's
wierd to me; I think my mother dropped me on my head.

Peter

Doesn't it only bind to 127.0.0.1?

I believe so. I think one of the tests for it working is to type
127.0.0.1 into your address bar (possibly plus some other info). Can't
recall for sure.

Have only used it on a single machine. Never tried to use it as a remote
server on a LAN.