Re: I have a problem with this:

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Jonathan said:
Beauregard said:
There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp
that is served as "Content-Type: text/plain"
Firefox and Opera just show the source code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

Simple! Bad headers, improperly setup server and IE does not properly
follow protocol and handle content via the Content-Type

I think I said that LOL.

Yes, just being more explicit, wasn't sure she'd get it. Well it looks
like she didn't.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
Well.. to me ... it's about several things at the same time. Growing,
learning as I go,

No disrespect, but you haven't yet shown any learning in this
millennium.
... back then... it wasn't an issue! LOL

It is now, as IE fades from popularity .. and if you don't recognize
that fact, you are doing your clients a disservice.
Well.. up until now I've never gotten any of those calls.

I'd suspect what happens is the 40% of the visitors who can't use your
sites, just go back to Google and find someone else - some other company
- who sells what they are interested in. Imagine how pleased your
clients would be if their bottom line increased by 40% LOL.
Well at this time, I work for people who want code to work on various
versions of IE, and Firefox....

I have never once had a client ask me to "code for IE and Firefox."
The bottom line is will people pay you for what you can do for them
with a website .... <shrugs>

Sure, they will pay you. They don't know any better. But you keep
forging ahead deceiving them...

I'm sorry I wasn't able to include an obligatory LOL in every paragraph.

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
freemont said:
Yup. And here are more, found by following the "Website by" email to
her site:

<http://profwebsolutions.com/>

More left aligned tables, fixed at or around 800px wide. (And I have
to wonder what copyright.html, linked to at the bottom of the above
page, would contain if it existed.)

There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp
that is served as "Content-Type: text/plain"
Firefox and Opera just show the source code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

roflol .. that site was done like 10 yrs ago ...

10 years or 15, no difference. It is a basic and fundamental error.
Would you hire a mechanic that didn't know what a wrench was?

Jonathan N. Little

freemont said:
Jonathan said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp that is served as
code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

Simple! Bad headers, improperly setup server and IE does not properly
follow protocol and handle content via the Content-Type

I think I said that LOL.

LOL you did LOL... but jonathan said it different! LOL

Maybe LOL mean "Logic Official Lost"

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
freemont said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty writ:
There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp that is served as
code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

/me shakes head

But, hey - if they PAID her, it's ok!

Oh, um, LOL.

yep .. it's about a 10 yr old site .. and they paid for it 10 yrs ago... it
doesn't exist anymore on any live site.

I can understand why it no longer exists.

Jenn

Jenn said:
freemont said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty writ:
There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp that is served as
code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

/me shakes head

But, hey - if they PAID her, it's ok!

Oh, um, LOL.

yep .. it's about a 10 yr old site .. and they paid for it 10 yrs ago...
it
doesn't exist anymore on any live site.

I can understand why it no longer exists.

It's probably been updated so many times since I built it.. or that company
changed and no longer needed the site. LOL

Jenn

So. "If it's an old site, why fix it?" That the reasoning?

If it's not worth fixing, why is it still up?

I already said that.. but I'll repeat... the profwebsolutions.com site is
there just to have a place to display some old sites I've built and to
catalog various progress.

I really don't understand why you think that's funny?

Jenn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
No disrespect, but you haven't yet shown any learning in this
millennium.

I also don't display any current work on that site, so you won't be seeing
what I do now there.

It is now, as IE fades from popularity .. and if you don't recognize
that fact, you are doing your clients a disservice.

mmmmm ... it's still the top browser with Firefox coming in second.

I'd suspect what happens is the 40% of the visitors who can't use your
sites, just go back to Google and find someone else - some other company
- who sells what they are interested in. Imagine how pleased your
clients would be if their bottom line increased by 40% LOL.

Actually, I've been working full-time for the past 4 yrs, so I really don't
need to solicit new clients at this time.

Sure, they will pay you. They don't know any better. But you keep
forging ahead deceiving them...

Deceiving who? That's funny. LOL

Jenn

freemont wrote:

Yup. And here are more, found by following the "Website by" email to
her site:

<http://profwebsolutions.com/>

More left aligned tables, fixed at or around 800px wide. (And I have
to wonder what copyright.html, linked to at the bottom of the above
page, would contain if it existed.)

There is a link on that page. "RPS INSURANCE GROUP (IE Only)"
http://profwebsolutions.com/webdesign/rps/RPS.asp
that is served as "Content-Type: text/plain"
Firefox and Opera just show the source code.

I guess that is why it only works in IE... :-( [obligatory LOL]

roflol .. that site was done like 10 yrs ago ...

10 years or 15, no difference. It is a basic and fundamental error. Would
you hire a mechanic that didn't know what a wrench was?

I don't care if he knew what a wrench was 15 yrs ago .. I care if he knows
how to fix my car with the tools he needs to do it with now.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
I also don't display any current work on that site, so you won't be
seeing what I do now there.

So until you do, we will have to assume you are still stuck in the 90s.
mmmmm ... it's still the top browser with Firefox coming in second.

"Internet Explorer 4.0 or later is required for this site."

Yes.

Jenn

Jenn wrote:

So until you do, we will have to assume you are still stuck in the 90s.

why? you know what happens when people assume...... right?

I'm here to observe, and learn, and participate as time allows me to. I've
already picked up a couple of good tidbits that I may be able to use in the
future. They are tucked nicely away in my saved folders.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
why? you know what happens when people assume...... right?

Why? Because you haven't shown anything with modern (post-90s)
flexible, valid, accessible code, for starters.
I'm here to observe, and learn,

That appears not to be the case.

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn said:
hey now.. considering that was the first flash example I ever tried.. I
thought I did quite well. :D

Striving to learn, yeah!

Well folks, I have to do something productive, you can keep flogging
this dead pony if you wish. Just hope you don't get the gig to cleanup
one of these "masterpieces".

Jenn

Jonathan N. Little said:
Striving to learn, yeah!

Well folks, I have to do something productive, you can keep flogging this
dead pony if you wish. Just hope you don't get the gig to cleanup one of
these "masterpieces".

Now that I've been the target of ya'lls critiques, perhaps you can now move
on and chit chat about everything you think you're good at, and I'll just
sit back and read and see if I can make use of any of it.....

So, what sort of sites have you built and did you get paid?

Jenn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Why? Because you haven't shown anything with modern (post-90s)
flexible, valid, accessible code, for starters.

That appears not to be the case.

How about showing some sites you'd done and gotten paid for?