Re: i18n pot file

Discussion in 'Python' started by anabell, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. anabell

    anabell Guest

    > The best CHARSET to use is UTF-8 but of course you have to enter UTF-8
    data into the po file. You can write all languages in UTF-8.

    But I received this error when I tried filling 'utf-8' :
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 0-1: invalid

    > The ENCODING should be 8bit in all cases

    Is this the case with Chinese characters too? I thought its base64?

    anabell, Oct 22, 2003

  2. "anabell" <> writes:

    > > The best CHARSET to use is UTF-8 but of course you have to enter UTF-8

    > data into the po file. You can write all languages in UTF-8.
    >
    > But I received this error when I tried filling 'utf-8' :
    > UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 0-1: invalid

    Then your PO file likely isn't in UTF-8. You need to find out what
    encoding your computer uses. As a starting point, you would need to
    tell us what operation system you use, and what "locale" you have
    activated on that system

    > > The ENCODING should be 8bit in all cases

    > Is this the case with Chinese characters too? I thought its base64?

    In the literal PO file, you don't use base64, you always use "plain"
    bytes - independent of the language.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Oct 23, 2003