Re: ID by Tool Tips

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jan C. Faerber, Oct 3, 2009.

  1. On Oct 3, 12:35 am, dogbreath <> wrote:

    > Tool tips does about what I want, but I want it to be a little more
    > persistant.

    Would it work if you slice&dice one of your pic?

    The pic looks like this:

    ---------
    | |
    | |
    | |
    ----------

    .... after like this:

    ---------
    | | | |
    ---------
    | | | |
    ---------
    | | | |
    ---------

    So you get e.g. 3 rows with 3 cols.
    Now you can add js or event handler
    seperatly to each pic with onmouseover
    where you get another pic with
    some text like in your tool tip.

    Depends on the pics. If you make a big gallery
    you might want to look for a more convenient solution.

    Jan C. Faerber, Oct 3, 2009

  2. On Oct 3, 1:59 pm, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 12:35 am, dogbreath <> wrote:
    >
    > > Tool tips does about what I want, but I want it to be a little more
    > > persistant.

    > Would it work if you slice&dice one of your pic?

    Or you could use also one single pic
    e.g. for one huge group picture:
    One picture without the names around their necks
    and one with the tool tip saying:
    "Hi it's me nanny! - Oncle Sam - Aunty Em - Baby Boo - Betty Blue -
    etc."

    http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/t..._images_on_mouseover_mouseout_javascript.php3
    Here is one page where you find instructions to do that.

    You also may want to use a preloader so the effect is immediatly
    coming
    after you move the mouse over the pic.
    I didn't check the page but a tutorial should explain it here:
    http://www.roscripts.com/Javascript_image_preloader-111.html

    Jan C. Faerber, Oct 3, 2009

  3. On Oct 3, 2:29 pm, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:
    > You also may want to use a preloader so the effect is immediatly
    > coming

    No - it is "coming immediately".

    Jan C. Faerber, Oct 3, 2009
  4. On Oct 3, 11:47 pm, dogbreath <> wrote:

    > Well, whether it's "immediately coming" or "comes immediately", I
    > appreciate your suggestion, and I'll save it for Plan B if Plan A
    > doesn't work out.  Plan A is to seek a solution in css, as suggested
    > in Ms. Boswell's link.

    hm... plan B will not allow to use the context menu's "save as..."
    with the right mouse button (- I forgot the use of apple mouses).
    In this case you can provide a seperate link (to get optionally an
    even bigger pic).

    Maybe that is some argument when using slice&dice on some pages. *ggg*

    Jan C. Faerber, Oct 4, 2009
  5. Jan C. Faerber

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dogbreath <> wrote:

    > in Ms. Boswell's link.

    Hey, dogbreath (you have no idea how liberating it is to be able to use
    this without meaning it meaning to be a crass insult), you might find it
    simpler to confine your understanding of it with a version like:

    a.info{
    position: relative;
    text-decoration:none}

    a.info span {display: none}

    a.info:hover span{ /*the span will display just on :hover state*/
    display:block;
    position:absolute;
    top:2em; left:2em; width:15em;
    border:1px dotted #000;
    background-color:#ffc; color:#000;
    text-align: center}

    aiding text that appears just when you roll on with the mouse</span></a>
    operates on the the blue word.</p>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 4, 2009
  6. Jan C. Faerber

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dogbreath <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the simpler version. I'm sure it'll all come clear to me
    > by and bye. Just give me a few days to study.

    Time is running out and we can allow three days at most.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 4, 2009