Re: IDLE function 'tooltips'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Seo Sanghyeon, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Asun Friere wrote:

    > I'm just trying out Python 2.3's IDLE and was wondering how you turn
    > off the 'tooltipping' that comes up whenever you write out a function
    > and open the first parenth. I can't seem to find the option for it in
    > 'Configure IDLE'.

    You can turn it off by editing IDLE's extension config file. In case of
    Python 2.3 on Windows XP, make a file named "config-extensions.cfg" under
    ..idlerc directory, which would be under your home directory. And write:

    [CallTips]
    enable = 0

    It would be nice to make this configurable in the configuration dialog.
    Perhaps you must submit this one as a feature request?

    Seo Sanghyeon

    Seo Sanghyeon, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Seo Sanghyeon

    Asun Friere Guest

    (Seo Sanghyeon) wrote in message news:<>...

    > You can turn it off by editing IDLE's extension config file. In case of
    > Python 2.3 on Windows XP, make a file named "config-extensions.cfg" under
    > .idlerc directory, which would be under your home directory. And write:
    >
    > [CallTips]
    > enable = 0

    Thanks a tonne! I'm not an IDLE user (my usual 'IDE' is 3 terminal
    windows, one with the intepreter running, one with vi running, and the
    other simply at the shell), but I thought I would check it out. It's
    kind of handy when there are longer functions you want to write out
    (and might not get right the first time), but you don't necessarily
    need to commit them to file. It was a hassle having to keep my eyes
    closed while I supplied arguments to functions though. Just seeing
    the call tip instantly made me forget what I was about to write. (And
    I'm not even a blonde!) Though it would be a nice feature on the
    occasions you are using an unfamiliar function.

    I don't use Windows, but I found 'config-extensions.def' in the the
    'idelib' directory and made the change there. Just knowing that they
    are called 'CallTips' was a great help.

    > It would be nice to make this configurable in the configuration dialog.
    > Perhaps you must submit this one as a feature request?

    Its so obvious a candidate for a configuration dialog, I don't really
    think such a request would be necessary ;)

    Thanks again.

    Asun Friere, Aug 5, 2003