Re: IDLE printing problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Jan Reedy, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. On 4/3/2013 12:24 PM, Joe Hill wrote:
    On 4/3/2013 12:24 PM, Joe Hill wrote:
    > I attempted to print about 10 pages of documentation from the help files
    > using IDLE. On all the pages the side of each page was missing about 1/4
    > inch of text.

    You neglected to say what you actually did to have a problem. I tried
    the following with the font set to the default Courier.
    >>> help(tuple)

    <a page and a half of help text>
    <print to Canon inkjet or HP Laserjet 5>
    Everything printed, with longest lines just fitting within the margins.

    > Am I missing a setting? Is this a known problem? Will it do the same
    > with lines of code?

    Printing depends on font, font size, OS printer driver, and printer. I
    suspect Idle just sends print command to tk text widget. Its 'print
    dialog' is as primitive as possible: the only choice is to print to the
    default printer or not; no printer choice, no page setup. Tk, in turn,
    should just put the text in a temporary file and turn it over to the OS
    printer driver.

    > Using W7, 64 bit. PY 3.3.
    >
    > It worked just fine when I pasted the text in Word 2010.

    I am sure it is has more knowledge about the vagaries of printing. You
    might try a single page (with max length lines) after Word prints to see
    if it left the printer in a better state.
    Terry Jan Reedy, Apr 3, 2013

  2. On 4/3/2013 2:50 PM, Joe Hill wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:40:38 -0400, Terry Jan Reedy <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> On 4/3/2013 12:24 PM, Joe Hill wrote:
    >>> I attempted to print about 10 pages of documentation from the help files
    >>> using IDLE. On all the pages the side of each page was missing about 1/4
    >>> inch of text.

    >> You neglected to say what you actually did to have a problem.

    > Text that I needed to make sense of the page did not print from the help
    > file. Characters were missing on the right side on every long line on
    > every page.

    I got that already. Until you say what you did, in enough detail to
    reproduce your actions, I cannot comment further.
    Terry Jan Reedy, Apr 3, 2013

  3. Windows printing problem (was re; IDLE printing problem_

    On 4/3/2013 6:26 PM, Joe Hill wrote:

    > In light of the fact that this is a new problem and has only occurred in
    > Python - I shall just regard that as either a feature or flaw...

    Based on what you have said, the problem IS NOT OCCURRING IN PYTHON.
    It is occurring in the Microsoft HTML help viewer.
    Terry Jan Reedy, Apr 4, 2013