Re: IE & applets

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:29:21 +0100, Jheroen wrote:

    > hi andrew
    >
    > just mail me about that link and we'll arrange it!
    > Jheroen

    Hi!

    Tried the email from your page several
    days ago, but have not got a respopse yet,
    so I thought I'd reprint it here..

    <from email>
    We conversed briefly on the forums in
    relation to the MS JVM.

    I had visited (and linked to) your site
    not less than 48 hours before, due to my
    involvement with fixing the breakage
    caused by the MS JVM removal tool.
    The fix that the OP found was to
    reinstall the MS JVM, which he found
    at your site and reported back to us.

    I was also working on my own solution,
    and I have come up with the MSJVM Cleaner.
    At the moment it is crude. It strips the
    MS JVM from under IE, and backs it up to
    an entirely different path. That not
    only makes it safe, it allows Sun Java
    to run using the <applet> tag.

    In the future I intend not only to add
    'Restore' functionality to the MSJVM
    Cleaner, but even better, I will be
    able to rebuild the MS JVM completely
    _without_ the ms.com.* classes, so you
    can have an IE JVM that is light,
    and guaranteed to be secure.
    (In the event that IE forgets its
    settings and reverts to 'Use MS JVM').

    I like to present information and
    opportunities to my users, and allow
    them to make their own choices, in
    much the spirit that you seem to
    display at your site.

    Obviously, I would appreciate a link
    back from your site, would that be possible?

    You can see the links to your site.. here.
    http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=dev#link
    and here..
    http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=dev#comment
    (first message on the 19th)

    Also, for the page generally..
    http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp
    </from email>

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 2, 2004

  2. On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:00:58 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:29:21 +0100, Jheroen wrote:

    > Tried the email from your page several
    > days ago,

    Just checked your new site/format.

    I was not wanting to comment on the old
    one, but I _would_ like to say that the
    new format is very slick. It actually
    looks like something from this millennium! ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Andrew Thompson

    Jheroen Guest

    hi andrew
    yes, i made the site a little bit more detailed and i split it in pieces so
    that anyone could more easily find what they are looking for, i mailed you
    back but i got the mail back in error
    but, i am sure that you found your link in the installation directory?
    btw, do you know where the msjvm removal tool from microsoft has been gone?
    regards!
    Jheroen

    Jheroen, Apr 2, 2004
  4. On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:59:20 +0200, Jheroen wrote:

    > hi andrew
    > yes, i made the site a little bit more detailed and i split it in pieces so
    > that anyone could more easily find what they are looking for, i mailed you
    > back but i got the mail back in error

    Dang! I'll have to check into that..

    > but, i am sure that you found your link in the installation directory?

    I did not, but I must have missed it in the
    excitement of your new site. ;-)

    I'll have a proper look around again later.

    [ Thanks much, BTW ]

    > btw, do you know where the msjvm removal
    > tool from microsoft has been gone?

    I actually had a look last night on Google
    and saw various refererences to it, some
    even mentioning specific download, but I
    did not follow them up.

    [ So I am not _sure_ that they were not
    just pointing back to MS ]

    I think your site will be very busy.