Re: Iframe question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > I have never handled Iframes before and I don't know if this is possible.
    >
    > I currently have a page with an Iframe. Inside of that Iframe is an
    > external web page (this is what the customer specifically wanted). This
    > works fine (although there is a bit of scrolling introduced due to its
    > capture).
    >
    > Now, when a link inside that that external web page that is in the
    > Iframe is clicked, it takes over the whole parent page and doesn't stay
    > within the Iframe.

    You do not give a URL to show this behaviour. Here is a URL where I do
    not have this behaviour:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/frames/iFrameTargetTesting.html>

    Do you have this behaviour with this?

    > Is there a way to keep it confined to the Iframe and
    > only have the contents of that Iframe change to the linked page?

    I doubt it. In my URL you will see no monkey business with links. But if
    the website you are embedding in the iframe is not your own html doc and
    has something like target="_blank" for its links or perhaps something
    else, I can't think immediately of any way you can control this.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 5, 2009

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have never handled Iframes before and I don't know if this is possible.
    > >>
    > >> I currently have a page with an Iframe. Inside of that Iframe is an
    > >> external web page (this is what the customer specifically wanted). This
    > >> works fine (although there is a bit of scrolling introduced due to its
    > >> capture).
    > >>
    > >> Now, when a link inside that that external web page that is in the
    > >> Iframe is clicked, it takes over the whole parent page and doesn't stay
    > >> within the Iframe.

    > > You do not give a URL to show this behaviour. Here is a URL where I do
    > > not have this behaviour:
    > >
    > > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/frames/iFrameTargetTesting.html>
    > >
    > > Do you have this behaviour with this?
    > >
    > >> Is there a way to keep it confined to the Iframe and
    > >> only have the contents of that Iframe change to the linked page?
    > >>

    > > I doubt it. In my URL you will see no monkey business with links. But if
    > > the website you are embedding in the iframe is not your own html doc and
    > > has something like target="_blank" for its links or perhaps something
    > > else, I can't think immediately of any way you can control this.
    > >

    > It is not my own web site that is being embedded. I have no control
    > over those internal links. So, I guess the answer is "no".

    Thanks for not bothering to answer my question. I made the above URL and
    asked you a question about it - to eliminate any possible odd setting
    you might have on your browser. And then we move to the next stage and I
    might go on to discuss the role of target="_blank" and we can all have a
    jolly good time, some of it might even be informative.

    No wonder I talk to myself so often! Which reminds me yet again, yawn,
    of:

    I went to the doctor the other day.
    "What is the matter?", asks the doctor.
    "Doctor, I talk to myself"
    "That's OK, plenty of people talk to themselves"
    "But Doctor, I talk to myself a lot"
    "It's nothing to worry about, it is not so bad ..."
    "Ah! But Doctor, you don't understand how boring I am!"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 5, 2009

  3. dorayme

    rf Guest

    <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    >>> It is not my own web site that is being embedded. I have no control
    >>> over those internal links. So, I guess the answer is "no".
    >>>

    >> Thanks for not bothering to answer my question. I made the above URL and
    >> asked you a question about it - to eliminate any possible odd setting

    > Sorry, I didn't realize that it was specially made URL and I thought it
    > was a URL that you already had and it didn't open up the whole page. I
    > also was further by distracted by what you said after that -- as that
    > seemed to be the answer.
    >
    > So, to answer your question, yes, that is what I want to accomplish and
    > no, I do not have that behavior, and further no, I have no control of the
    > links in the destination URL.
    >
    >> you might have on your browser. And then we move to the next stage and I
    >> might go on to discuss the role of target="_blank" and we can all have a
    >> jolly good time, some of it might even be informative.

    > Anyway, here is the iframe code that I _do_ have control over:
    >
    > <iframe width="615" height="545" frameborder="1" scrolling="auto"
    > src="http://the_target_url.html" target="_self"></iframe>

    iframe does not have a target attribute, so this will achieve nothing.

    > What I have no control over is the the_target_url.html and its links.
    >
    > I guess that they must have target="_blank" in them.

    Why don't you have a look and see?

    > One of the links in that target url that opens the whole page is:

    Oh, you did.

    > href="altentry.asp?action=indguest&whereto=jobs"

    That's not a link that is just an href attribute. What is the *whole* link,
    the entire <a> element?

    Without the actual URL to the offending page anything anybody can do us
    guess.
    rf, Nov 5, 2009
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > So, to answer your question, yes, that is what I want to accomplish and
    > no, I do not have that behavior, and further no, I have no control of
    > the links in the destination URL.

    OK. But since we cannot inspect the web site you are embedding, it is
    hard to know what quite is making it not do what my url does.
    .... It may have targets set either in its links or in a base element in
    the head?

    > Anyway, here is the iframe code that I _do_ have control over:
    >
    > <iframe width="615" height="545" frameborder="1" scrolling="auto"
    > src="http://the_target_url.html" target="_self"></iframe>

    No, no... this is just invalid.

    > What I have no control over is the the_target_url.html and its links.
    >
    > I guess that they must have target="_blank" in them.

    Or there may be a base element with targets in the head or there may be
    other things going on?

    > One of the links in that target url that opens the whole page is:
    >
    > href="altentry.asp?action=indguest&whereto=jobs"

    Unfortunately this does not seem locatable. At least not by me.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 5, 2009
  5. sheldonlg wrote:

    >> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >>> It is not my own web site that is being embedded. I have no control
    >>> over those internal links. So, I guess the answer is "no".

    I'll bet most of us are wondering whose site you want to embed in yours,
    and why. Who owns it? If it was my site you wanted to embed, it would
    not be in your frame either.

    Please explain why you want to embed someone else's site, and I'll tell
    you how mine won't be in your frame.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 5, 2009
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Please explain why you want to embed someone else's site, and I'll tell
    > you how mine won't be in your frame.

    Frame jacking maybe?

    <http://skitzzo.com/archives/who-owns-the-content-framejacking-in-web-20.php>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 5, 2009
  7. sheldonlg wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please explain why you want to embed someone else's site, and I'll tell
    >>> you how mine won't be in your frame.
    >>>

    >> Frame jacking maybe?
    >>
    >> <http://skitzzo.com/archives/who-owns-the-content-framejacking-in-web-20.php>
    >>

    > The embedding is of a site from a sister government organization in
    > Florida.
    >
    > You provided your example that did what I wanted. If, instead, you
    > embedded www.employflorida.com, does it still stay within the bounds
    > when you click one of the buttons below the picture?

    Works just fine *if* you have JavaScript disabled. No mystery there, as
    many of us suspected a little bit of JavaScript on
    www.employflorida.com's pages:

    if(top != self) {top.location.href = location.href;}

    Now you have a few options:

    To use the IFRAME since this an "authorized" sharing of content have
    www.employflorida.com remove their frame-breaker script, or modify it to
    allow your URL in top window.

    Or abandon the IFRAME and use server-side scripting like PHP and CURL
    and slurp and convert... Have fun! They have all kinds of JavaScript
    controlling sessions so this may not be a very easy or elegant route.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 5, 2009