Re: iFrame

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Techdesk, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. Techdesk

    Techdesk Guest

    Techdesk wrote:

    > Having trouble with several websites that do not display anything but
    > a blank page. Investigation of the source shows that somehow the
    > following line gets inserted into the HTML of the page and since xx
    > does not exist we get a blank page:
    >.>
    >> <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0>
    >>
    >> Anyone know where this might be coming from? Browser does not seem to
    >> matter, both Firefox and IExplorer do the same. Strangely enough the
    >> www.google.com site always works OK but for example www.kingston.com
    >> regularly shows this problem. We did several spyware scans on the
    >> system but nothing more that a bunch of tracking cookies.

    >Something else is a miss. There is no <iframe.. at the kingston.com site,
    >at least not on the main page.

    >Try this: http://superantispyware.com/
    >It's free for home use.

    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    This is not helping, I know this is not supposed to be at the Kingston site nor at any other site that does not work anymore because of the injection in the HTML code of the iFrame thing. Also as mentioned, there's no spyware at the system, several scans with several scanners bring up nothing but some tracking cookies.

    Anyone?

    Techdesk, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Techdesk

    Guest

    On Mar 19, 8:30 pm, "Techdesk" <> wrote:
    > Techdesk wrote:
    > > Having trouble with several websites that do not display anything but
    > > a blank page. Investigation of the source shows that somehow the
    > > following line gets inserted into the HTML of the page and since xx
    > > does not exist we get a blank page:
    > >.>
    > >> <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0>

    > >> Anyone know where this might be coming from? Browser does not seem to
    > >> matter, both Firefox and IExplorer do the same. Strangely enough the
    > >>www.google.comsite always works OK but for examplewww.kingston.com
    > >> regularly shows this problem. We did several spyware scans on the
    > >> system but nothing more that a bunch of tracking cookies.

    Is there a common factor to the websites with the iframe problem,
    do they use the same CMS, are they on the same server, etc.?
    How are the pages with the iframe line generated?

    It seems that the iframe is in the source code server-side,
    so it does not depend on the browser,
    what matters is if the browsers support frames.
    Google and other search engines do not process the inner content of
    frames
    as content part of the current page,
    (they might follow the URL in the src attribute if there is one)
    so probably this is why Google search results are is not affected,
    but search engines do not like hidden elements, with width and height
    0 or 1px.

    , Mar 19, 2008

  3. You started a new thread. And stripped attributes from quoted material.
    Please don't do that.

    Techdesk wrote:

    > Techdesk wrote:
    >> Having trouble with several websites that do not display anything but
    >> a blank page. Investigation of the source shows that somehow the
    >> following line gets inserted into the HTML of the page and since xx
    >> does not exist we get a blank page: .>
    >>> <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0>
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know where this might be coming from? Browser does not seem
    >>> to matter, both Firefox and IExplorer do the same. Strangely enough
    >>> the www.google.com site always works OK but for example
    >>> www.kingston.com regularly shows this problem. We did several
    >>> spyware scans on the system but nothing more that a bunch of
    >>> tracking cookies.

    > [Beauregard wrote:]
    >> Something else is amiss. [<--removed space in word] There is no
    >> <iframe.. at the kingston.com site, at least not on the main page.

    >>Try this: http://superantispyware.com/
    >>It's free for home use.
    >>
    >> [snipped signature]

    > This is not helping,

    What is not helping?

    > I know this is not supposed to be at the Kingston site nor at any
    > other site that does not work anymore because of the injection in the
    > HTML code of the iFrame thing. Also as mentioned, there's no spyware
    > at the system, several scans with several scanners bring up nothing
    > but some tracking cookies.

    Do you still see: <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0>
    in the source at the Kingston site?

    What do you say about you seeing it and me not seeing it? What does that
    infer to you?

    Name a couple other sites where you see it. Try a different browser.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 19, 2008
  4. Techdesk

    Techdesk Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:47:20 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >You started a new thread. And stripped attributes from quoted material.
    >Please don't do that.

    Apologies, shitty newsreader and lack of time to do it properly.

    >Techdesk wrote:
    >
    >> Techdesk wrote:
    >>> Having trouble with several websites that do not display anything but
    >>> a blank page. Investigation of the source shows that somehow the
    >>> following line gets inserted into the HTML of the page and since xx
    >>> does not exist we get a blank page: .>

    >> [Beauregard wrote:]
    >>> Something else is amiss. [<--removed space in word] There is no
    >>> <iframe.. at the kingston.com site, at least not on the main page.

    >>>Try this: http://superantispyware.com/
    >>>It's free for home use.
    >>>
    >>> [snipped signature]

    >> This is not helping,

    >What is not helping?

    Your answers.

    >> I know this is not supposed to be at the Kingston site nor at any
    >> other site that does not work anymore because of the injection in the
    >> HTML code of the iFrame thing. Also as mentioned, there's no spyware
    >> at the system, several scans with several scanners bring up nothing
    >> but some tracking cookies.

    >Do you still see: <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0>
    >in the source at the Kingston site?

    Yes

    >What do you say about you seeing it and me not seeing it? What does that
    >infer to you?

    Something is fucking with the HTML packages that reach my browser, the
    question at hand is what could be causing that.

    >Name a couple other sites where you see it. Try a different browser.

    The site names do not really matter since it's not part of the source
    code of the site, it's something external to the site and I'm trying
    to figure out what.

    So if I tested the machine with several spyware scanners and the
    system comes out clean, if I tell you that I used the 2 most used
    browsers and the problem remains one should be able to deduct from
    that info that I do not think the iFrame thing is part of the site
    code, the problem is most probably not browser related and most
    probably not spyware related.

    Yet your 'tips' are:
    do a spyware scan and try another browser

    What does that infer to you?

    Techdesk, Mar 20, 2008
  5. Techdesk

    Techdesk Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >On Mar 19, 8:30 pm, "Techdesk" <> wrote:
    >> Techdesk wrote:
    >> > Having trouble with several websites that do not display anything but
    >> > a blank page. Investigation of the source shows that somehow the
    >> > following line gets inserted into the HTML of the page and since xx
    >> > does not exist we get a blank page:
    >> >.>

    >Is there a common factor to the websites with the iframe problem,
    >do they use the same CMS, are they on the same server, etc.?
    >How are the pages with the iframe line generated?
    >
    >It seems that the iframe is in the source code server-side,
    >so it does not depend on the browser,
    >what matters is if the browsers support frames.
    >Google and other search engines do not process the inner content of
    >frames
    >as content part of the current page,
    >(they might follow the URL in the src attribute if there is one)
    >so probably this is why Google search results are is not affected,
    >but search engines do not like hidden elements, with width and height
    >0 or 1px.

    Not really, a lot of sites show the problem build with different CMS
    systems running on different servers yet Google never does.
    However, If I look at the sourcecode of the Google page there is no
    iFrame entry on the first line. The sites that come up empty do show
    this line.

    Something is injecting HTML code in the HTML stream coming from the
    webserver, I just can't imagine how and where.

    Techdesk, Mar 20, 2008
  6. Techdesk

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 1:41 pm, Techdesk <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT),
    >

    > wrote:

    > >Is there a common factor to the websites with the iframe problem,
    > >do they use the same CMS, are they on the same server, etc.?
    > >How are the pages with the iframe line generated?

    > >It seems that the iframe is in the source code server-side,
    > >so it does not depend on the browser,
    > >what matters is if the browsers support frames.
    > >Google and other search engines do not process the inner content of
    > >frames
    > >as content part of the current page,
    > >(they might follow the URL in the src attribute if there is one)
    > >so probably this is why Google search results are is not affected,
    > >but search engines do not like hidden elements, with width and height
    > >0 or 1px.

    > Not really, a lot of sites show the problem build with different CMS
    > systems running on different servers yet Google never does.
    > However, If I look at the sourcecode of the Google page there is no
    > iFrame entry on the first line. The sites that come up empty do show
    > this line.
    >
    > Something is injecting HTML code in the HTML stream coming from the
    > webserver, I just can't imagine how and where.

    Sorry, I did not understand the problem.
    I can see kingston.com OK, without the iframe in the source.
    Do you mean that you see the wrong version in your computer
    of www.kingston.com with the iframe in the source now?
    What browser are you using?
    Does it happen only on one computer when you look at many websites?

    , Mar 20, 2008
  7. Techdesk wrote:

    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> You started a new thread. And stripped attributes from quoted
    >> material. Please don't do that.

    > Apologies, shitty newsreader and lack of time to do it properly.

    Apology accepted. Thanks.

    >> Techdesk wrote:
    >>> This is not helping,

    >> What is not helping?

    > Your answers.

    My most humble apologies for trying to help you out of your jam.

    > Yet your 'tips' are:
    > do a spyware scan and try another browser
    >
    > What does that infer to you?

    <shrug> Where else would you suggest someone begin?

    Googling for: iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0
    produces four hits. Have you seen them? All four are Chinese sites and
    all reference the filename: zxarps.exe
    Sorry, I don't read Chinese...

    Do you have this file on your computer?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Techdesk

    Techdesk Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:04:52 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Techdesk wrote:
    >
    >>"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> You started a new thread. And stripped attributes from quoted
    >>> material. Please don't do that.

    >> Apologies, shitty newsreader and lack of time to do it properly.

    >Apology accepted. Thanks.

    >>> What is not helping?

    >> Your answers.

    >My most humble apologies for trying to help you out of your jam.

    Right, get cynical <sigh>

    >> Yet your 'tips' are:
    >> do a spyware scan and try another browser
    >>
    >> What does that infer to you?

    ><shrug> Where else would you suggest someone begin?

    By reading the post before typing answers? That way you avoid giving
    options that have already been ruled out. No hard feelings I hope?

    >Googling for: iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0
    >produces four hits. Have you seen them? All four are Chinese sites and
    >all reference the filename: zxarps.exe
    >Sorry, I don't read Chinese...
    >
    >Do you have this file on your computer?

    Yes, I found those links and no, nothing of the kind is found on the
    machine.

    Thanks anyway.

    Techdesk, Mar 20, 2008
  9. Techdesk

    Techdesk Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:50:10 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >On Mar 20, 1:41 pm, Techdesk <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:05:40 -0700 (PDT),
    >>

    >> wrote:

    >> >Is there a common factor to the websites with the iframe problem,
    >> >do they use the same CMS, are they on the same server, etc.?
    >> >How are the pages with the iframe line generated?

    >> >It seems that the iframe is in the source code server-side,
    >> >so it does not depend on the browser,
    >> >what matters is if the browsers support frames.
    >> >Google and other search engines do not process the inner content of
    >> >frames
    >> >as content part of the current page,
    >> >(they might follow the URL in the src attribute if there is one)
    >> >so probably this is why Google search results are is not affected,
    >> >but search engines do not like hidden elements, with width and height
    >> >0 or 1px.

    >> Not really, a lot of sites show the problem build with different CMS
    >> systems running on different servers yet Google never does.
    >> However, If I look at the sourcecode of the Google page there is no
    >> iFrame entry on the first line. The sites that come up empty do show
    >> this line.
    >>
    >> Something is injecting HTML code in the HTML stream coming from the
    >> webserver, I just can't imagine how and where.

    >Sorry, I did not understand the problem.
    >I can see kingston.com OK, without the iframe in the source.
    >Do you mean that you see the wrong version in your computer
    >of www.kingston.com with the iframe in the source now?

    This is what I see when requesting the source of the page:

    <iframe src='xx' width=0 height=0> <STYLE type="text/css">
    TEXT-DECORATION: none
    }
    A.boldlink
    {
    FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
    FONT-SIZE: 12px
    }

    >What browser are you using?

    Tried IE6 & IE7, Firefox 2 and 3

    >Does it happen only on one computer when you look at many websites?

    I have 2 other PC's here from which 1 is now also showing this
    behaviour, the other still seems OK.

    Just found out that if I use an anonymoyus proxy on the Internet in my
    browser the problem does not arise??? ISP?

    Thanks so far.

    Techdesk, Mar 20, 2008