Re: IIR filter example ?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by MM, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. MM

    MM Guest

    MM, Aug 15, 2006

  2. MM wrote:

    > What's the advantage of the coding style you demonstrated in this example
    > with procedures instead of direct assignments in the process?

    Since the template is always the same,
    I can write synth code quickly and it
    often works the first time.

    The template separates the tasks of
    initialization, update, and output wiring.
    The procedure "update_regs" becomes a distilled
    functional description without any
    wires or boilerplate spoiling the view.

    I can simulate simple variable updates
    in my head because the description uses
    present values only. There are no signals.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 15, 2006