Re: Imaging libraries in active development?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Luis Pedro Coelho, Dec 2, 2012.

  1. Alasdair McAndrew <> on Thu, 29 Nov 2012 wrote:
    > Probably the combinations of OpenCV, Scipy.ndimage and scikits-image
    > would cover pretty much all of my needs.

    Hi,

    All of those (+ mahotas, which is the package I wrote & imread which
    might be useful for microscopy file formats) will work on numpy arrays
    (openCV requires a bit of conversion back and forth, but it will work).
    Therefore, it is not much of a bother to mix&match functions from one or
    the other library::

    import mahotas as mah
    import imread
    import skimage
    import pylab

    image = imread.imread("my-fancy-image.jpeg")
    filtered = mah.gaussian_filter(image, 4.)
    segmented = skimage.segmentation.quickshift(filtered)
    pylab.imshow(segmented)

    I just mixed 4 different packages seamlessly in this example. This will
    work flawlessly.

    mahotas & skimage are both under very active development, but neither is
    unstable (i.e., we keep adding new features, but the existing code is
    very reliable). scipy.ndimage is sort of dead: I scavenged its code for
    good bits and pieces for mahotas, but nobody is developing ndimage.

    If you run into specific issues, the mailing list pythonvision at

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pythonvision

    is a good forum. Plenty of people from different projects lurk there.

    HTH,
    Luis
    Luis Pedro Coelho, Dec 2, 2012