Re: Implement SQL in Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lee Fesperman, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Peter wrote:

    > Hi
    > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?

    Lose performance? Not in this day and age! And, JVMs continue to improve. Better ones
    are coming down the pike, including some that have specific capabilities to improve Java
    DBMSs. Improvements in static compilation are pretty stagnant. Besides, they are limited
    by being static and by the nature of languages, like C & C++.

    DBMSs that are implemented in static compiled languages are mostly dependent on hardware
    improvements to achieve better performance. Even then, they often must be recompiled to
    take advantage of the new hardware capabilities. Systems that depend on VMs can
    instantly take advantage of improved hardware, without recompilation.

    A database doesn't need cross-platform? I can hardly begin to understand what this could
    mean. Let me just say that a properly implemented Java DBMS can run on any operating
    system and hardware architecture that your Java applicaton will. Also, read the comments
    above closely.

    I shan't expend much more bandwidth on this rather large topic, but I will touch on one
    additional thing. Nowadays, a number of DBMSs support Java running on the database
    server, for UDF's (User Defined Functions), UDT's (User Defined Types) and Stored
    Procedures. Non-Java DBMSs must include their own JVM to provide this capability. These
    JVMs can never be best-of-breed. A Java DBMS, on the other hand, can use the same JVM
    they are running on to provide such capabilities. Thus, they can always take advantage
    of the best/latest JVMs available for a given platform. For more details, see my
    article: "Java and Database Synergy" (http://www.firstsql.com/javadbsynergy.shtml)

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FirstSQL, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!

    Lee Fesperman, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Lee Fesperman

    Hylander Guest

    Lee Fesperman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Peter wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi
    > > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?

    > Lose performance? Not in this day and age! And, JVMs continue to improve. Better ones

    I think it has a lot to do with modernization of Java's JVMs and the
    lack of modernization and attention given to the corresponding C
    compilers and generated executables. Power of peer review and
    popularity.

    Hylander, Jun 3, 2004