Re: Implement SQL in Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Liz, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Liz

    Liz Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?

    Why do you want to develop a database when there are some good ones for
    free?
    Liz, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Liz

    Peter Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message news:<QeRuc.26617$js4.12893@attbi_s51>...
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?
    > >

    > Why do you want to develop a database when there are some good ones for
    > free?

    If you don't develop one, how can you really know what a DB is?
    If you don't develop one, all your theory that learnt from university
    are still rubbish.

    thanks
    from Peter ()
    Peter, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Liz

    Liz Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "Liz" <> wrote in message

    > > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > > > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > > > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?
    > > >

    > > Why do you want to develop a database when there are some good ones for
    > > free?

    > If you don't develop one, how can you really know what a DB is?
    > If you don't develop one, all your theory that learnt from university
    > are still rubbish.
    >
    > thanks
    > from Peter ()

    I don't have to be able to lay an egg to be able to tell a rotten one.
    Liz, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Peter wrote:
    > If you don't develop one, how can you really know what a DB is?
    > If you don't develop one, all your theory that learnt from university
    > are still rubbish.

    While hands-on experience may be better than theory *in theory*,
    in practice it takes too much time and there are too many gritty details
    to distract from the essentials. Theory is often quite sufficient.

    Second, if you just want to learn how to do it, performance is
    irrelevant, and ease of development everything, right? And that's
    one of Java's strongest points.
    Michael Borgwardt, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Liz

    Stefan Poehn Guest

    "Peter" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "Liz" <> wrote in message

    > > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
    > > > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
    > > > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?
    > > >

    > > Why do you want to develop a database when there are some good ones for
    > > free?

    > If you don't develop one, how can you really know what a DB is?
    > If you don't develop one, all your theory that learnt from university
    > are still rubbish.

    And you have to develop an operating system to know what an OS is. Oh, and a
    new internet protocol. Developing a new programming language and its
    compiler is also much fun. In your free weekends you can develop an office
    suite.

    Stefan Poehn, Jun 4, 2004