Re: Implications of GIF vs. JPG

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Raterus, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Raterus

    Raterus Guest

    GIF's only support 256 colors, so down the road if you needed to use a picture with more colors...you can't. Though there is nothing saying you HAVE to use one format for an entire site, GIF's are great for the little things.

    Raterus, Sep 3, 2004

  2. One other thing: GIFs support transparency, while JPGs do not. With a GIF,
    you can define one fully-transparent color. Additionally, while I'm on the
    subject, PNG files, which are also supported by all browsers, allow multiple
    transparencies. So, if you want an image to have a transparent background,
    use a GIF or PNG. If you want it to be anti-aliased as well, use a PNG.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 3, 2004