Re: import syntax

Discussion in 'Python' started by Joshua Landau, Jul 29, 2013.

  1. On 29 July 2013 21:23, Devyn Collier Johnson <>wrote:

    > On 07/29/2013 04:20 PM, Tim Chase wrote:

    >>> I got a bit further, and if I'm only using a couple of functions
    >>> from the import, I'll list them in the comment.
    >>>

    >> If I just plan to use a small subset, I tend to reach for the
    >>
    >> from sys import stdout, stderr, exit
    >>
    >> sort of syntax. I find it makes my code read a bit more cleanly than
    >> having to type "sys.stderr.write(...)" everywhere but is still pretty
    >> readable.
    >>
    >> -tkc
    >>

    >> So, there are no advantages or disadvantages when disregarding

    > readability?

    Sure, just as one light is no brighter or dimmer than another when
    disregarding luminosity.

    As people have said, it improves diffs as well. It flows quicker into the
    "from module import things" form (which I oft prefer), too.

    When asking these questions, ask yourself "why would it *compile*
    differently? It wouldn't. Plus, premature optimisation is the root of all
    evil.

    1) Write your code
    2) If it's slow:
    2a) Do you have time? If so:
    2b) Is it important to speed up, or is the slowness not worth spending the
    hours fixing?
    2c) Profile it to see what's actually slow
    2d) Realise that the slow part is not what you thought it was
    2e) Fix the bit that's slow (and nothing else)
    2f) Repeat from 2
    3) Write some more code
    Joshua Landau, Jul 29, 2013

  2. Joshua Landau

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2013-07-29, Joshua Landau <> wrote:
    > Sure, just as one light is no brighter or dimmer than another
    > when disregarding luminosity.
    >
    > As people have said, it improves diffs as well. It flows
    > quicker into the "from module import things" form (which I oft
    > prefer), too.
    >
    > When asking these questions, ask yourself "why would it
    > *compile* differently? It wouldn't. Plus, premature
    > optimisation is the root of all evil.
    >
    > 1) Write your code
    > 2) If it's slow:
    > 2a) Do you have time? If so:
    > 2b) Is it important to speed up, or is the slowness not worth spending the
    > hours fixing?
    > 2c) Profile it to see what's actually slow
    > 2d) Realise that the slow part is not what you thought it was
    > 2e) Fix the bit that's slow (and nothing else)
    > 2f) Repeat from 2
    > 3) Write some more code

    1a) Does it work?
    1b) Can you prove it?

    It's best to at least have some regression tests before you start
    refactoring and optimizing.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Jul 30, 2013