Re: #include visibility on own PC

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DartGuru, Oct 23, 2008.

  1. DartGuru

    DartGuru Guest

    On 23 Oct, 12:28, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "DartGuru" <> wrote in message

    > > Unfortunately, I don't have the option of installing a web server on
    > > my PC.

    > Why? Can't you install software on your PC?
    >
    > You  look for PHP HOME on google, download it, install it and ten minutes
    > later you have apache/mysql/php.

    No, as its a work PC on a works intranet.
    Installing of inappropriate s/w is a real no no.

    DartGuru, Oct 23, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DartGuru <>
    writing in

    > On 23 Oct, 12:28, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "DartGuru" <> wrote in message

    >> > Unfortunately, I don't have the option of installing a web server
    >> > on my PC.

    >> Why? Can't you install software on your PC?
    >>
    >> You  look for PHP HOME on google, download it, install it and ten
    >> minut

    > es
    >> later you have apache/mysql/php.

    > No, as its a work PC on a works intranet.
    > Installing of inappropriate s/w is a real no no.

    If it's a work PC, then you could 1) ask you administrator to install
    IIS and configure IIS to handle shtml or 2) you could download an SHTML
    viewer (Google for one - IIRC softnik makes one)

    If this is something that you are doing on a work PC for work, then the
    powers that be have to give you the tools to do your job.

    Your other option is to install a web server on your home system and you
    it as a beta server.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 23, 2008

  3. On 2008-10-27, DartGuru wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies, much food for thought on the best way to
    > proceed.
    >
    > I've discovered another problem with my use of:-
    ><!--#include file="included-bit.htm" -->
    > to be included inside mainfile.shtml
    >
    > On one website on one server this works exactly as you'd expect, but
    > on another the entire mailfile.shtml is appearing as text and the
    > included file has not been expanded.
    >
    > Is there something that the one server has switched on that the other
    > hasn't?
    > I would be very surprised if the problem server does not
    > recognise .shtml as it seems to be quite fundamental.
    >
    > These are both www pages not on my own PC.

    Use "virtual=" rather than "file=":

    <!--#include virtual="included-bit.htm" -->

    While "file=" works in Apache 1.3 (though it is not mentioned in
    the documentation), it doesn't work in Apache 2.X.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 27, 2008