Re: Including javascripts in HTML - it appears as the script never loads

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Bob Walton, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Bob Walton

    Bob Walton Guest

    Jim Rendant wrote:

    > I have web pages broken down into several parts because most of it is
    > dynamic. PERL creates all the dynamic data files and then prints them to
    > STDOUT which is the browser. It appears as though the <script> tag never
    > loads the upsalt.js file. I have
    > included examples of the routine and files.

    > Jim Rendant

    The chances are pretty good that either your webpage1.txt is not in the
    directory where your CGI script is looking for it, or your upsalt.js
    file is not in the directory where the web server is looking for it.
    These are web server configuration issues, not a Perl issue, and so is
    offtopic for this newsgroup. Study your server docs carefully and if
    you can't figure out where the files go, look at a web server
    newsgroup's FAQ, like perhaps comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi, and if
    you're still stuck, ask there.

    If you're not using CGI and CGI::Carp qw:)fatalsToBrower), be sure to
    add those, as it might give you insight into what is happening (like if
    the open in your CGI script fails). In my particular case, when I ran
    your code (with a header added), Carp showed very nicely that the open
    was failing. Your code worked fine when I changed "webpage1.txt" to
    "htdocs/webpage1.txt". In my case, the CGI script is looking for files
    starting in the "server root" directory. That may vary with other web
    servers or with web server configuration.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Jul 19, 2003