Re: Increase size of all text in PDF schematic diagram

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ivan Shmakov, Feb 2, 2013.

  1. Ivan Shmakov

    Ivan Shmakov Guest

    [...]

    > I found that if I used Acrobat 8 to export the PDF to PS with True
    > Type converted to Type 1, then filtered the PS through PS2pdf,
    > pstoedit will successfully convert the resulting PDF to EMF.
    > However, ungrouping the EMF within Powerpoint requires that it be
    > converted to Microsoft Office Document, which causes the text to be
    > formed from small vector graphics blocks. Basically, a chunk of text
    > seems to be a vector graphic, and resizing it large will reveal it's
    > blocky nature.

    I don't quite understand how "vector graphic" relates to
    "blocky", but perhaps converting PDF to SVG [hence:
    cross-posting to news:comp.text.xml] with Ghostscript, and then
    altering the resulting XML (with XSLT, or otherwise) to use the
    desired font size, may help?

    > I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have to
    > give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This will
    > need to be done each time the diagram is updated.

    PS. FWIW, the question of the vices of the current "computer graphic
    technologies" was recently brought up in a
    news:comp.arch.embedded discussion.

    --
    FSF associate member #7257

    Ivan Shmakov, Feb 2, 2013

  2. Ivan Shmakov

    Paul Guest

    Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
    been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
    despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems to
    be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups.

    However, please note that Peter provided a solution in the form of
    Inkscape (follow-ups of mine that also did not get cross-posted, but
    which I'm diligently fixing manually).

    On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:31:00 AM UTC-5, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
    >Paul <paul.domaskisATgmail.com> writes:
    >> ...which causes the text to be formed from small vector graphics
    >> blocks. Basically, a chunk of text seems to be a vector graphic,
    >> and resizing it large will reveal it's blocky nature.

    > I don't quite understand how "vector graphic" relates to "blocky",

    Maybe I'm abusing the word "vector". I meant that even though the
    letters are made from tiny shapes, they are not bit-mapped or
    rasterized.

    > but perhaps converting PDF to SVG [hence: cross-posting to
    > news:comp.text.xml] with Ghostscript, and then altering the
    > resulting XML (with XSLT, or otherwise) to use the desired font
    > size, may help?

    I'm at home, so I can't export from Adobe Pro with True Type converted
    to Type 1. Instead, I worked directly with the PDF from PDF2. I
    printed to PDF/A because it was apparently more portable.

    I tried the following pstoedit outputs:

    plot-svg: .svg: svg via GNU libplot
    noixml: .xml: Nemetschek NOI XML format

    The conversion to NOI XML generated the following error:

    pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 -
    release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011
    Wolfgang Glunz

    Problem during opening pstoed_noi:No such file or directory

    Creation of driver failed

    However, the conversion to SVG proceeded without error. When I
    examine the SVG file in Firefox, it looks as if the text has been
    turned into plotting commands, with enclosed parts of the letters
    being solid black rather than hollow. The issue looks similar to
    what I saw in converting to EMF for manipulation in powerpoint.

    I also printed to from the source app to PDF/X and converted to SVG,
    but the result was just gibberish.

    Note that the tests I did above were not from the OpenFTA, as it was
    for the orignal post. They were just printouts of Firefox pages. The
    problem in converting to editable vector file in order to globally
    resize all text seems to be similar.

    I suspect that the undesirable conversion of text to vector graphics
    occurs at the pstoedit step. The -ndt option is supposet to "never
    draw text", but that just prevents the conversion from proceeding.

    >> I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have
    >> to give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This
    >> will need to be done each time the diagram is updated.

    > PS. FWIW, the question of the vices of the current "computer graphic
    > technologies" was recently brought up in a news:comp.arch.embedded
    > discussion.

    I used Grouples to search that newsgroup for the following:

    "computer graphic technologies"
    computer-graphic-technology

    Nothing came up. Would you be able to provide a grouples link? The
    last thread with "graphics" in the subject line was in 2010, and the
    last one with "graphic" (singular) was in 2009.

    Paul, Feb 9, 2013

  3. Ivan Shmakov

    Paul Guest

    On Feb 9, 3:40 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~>
    wrote:
    > From: "Paul" <>
    >
    >> Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
    >> been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
    >> despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems
    >> to be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups.

    > Google groups was shit and always has been shit a Google is the
    > biggest source of spoam and abuse on Usenet.
    >
    > Simple... Use a News Client and a news server (free or paid-for
    > service).

    In some environments, Grouples is the only way to access usenet.
    Despite my irkedness at their degenerative transformation, I can't be
    as whole-heartedly critical of Grouples. The repository and search is
    mind boggling (except recently -- it seem to be blind to some threads
    on some groups). One never needs to keep a personal repository of
    knowledge that transpires online because of Grouples (I hope it always
    remains available, though). It's like time as the 4th dimension has
    collapsed, and you just need to Google to pull past information from
    out of the ether.

    > BTW: I tested LibreOffice v4.0 which was just released and now has
    > built-in PDF manipulation (not an extension). I loaded a few PDFs
    > into LibreOffice Writer and found on some text I could change the
    > font and its size. It was a per string manual process when I could
    > do it.

    I've never heard of it before, but it sure seems remarkable. Open
    Office use to be the big shot noncommercial office suite space, but
    LibreOffice sure sounds sharp. I'm not looking for an office suite
    right now...I got my private parts tied to our organization's use of
    the 800 pound gorilla. But thanks for putting it on my radar.

    Paul, Feb 10, 2013