Re: Info sought on Computeach (C++ courses)

Discussion in 'C++' started by Graeme Cogger, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Nick Worley wrote:

    > I've just had someone from the UK-based home-learning firm Computeach come
    > round to my house to sell me their C++/Visual C++ course after I sent them
    > my details after seeing a TV advert. The course involves 500 hours of home
    > study (the time it takes to complete obviously depends on how much work you
    > put in in your free time, although 6 months to a year is doable), costs
    > nearly GBP 4,000 (4,000 pounds sterling) and leads to the Microsoft
    > Certified Professional (MCP) qualification. The rep claimed their courses
    > are job-oriented (rather than purely academic) and the percentage of
    > students getting programming jobs at the end of the course is over 80% with
    > programming salaries ranging between GBP 20k and GBP 35k a year. The rep
    > gave me all sorts of other wonderful facts and figures, most of which I have
    > no way of checking or confirming, but I wonder if anyone could answer some
    > queries I have about Computeach:
    > - is the firm reputable?
    > - has anyone here done any of their courses and would you recommend doing
    > any of them?
    > - is the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) qualification worth having -
    > will it lead to all the wonderful jobs the rep was claiming?
    > Clearly 4 grand is not an insubstantial amount and I want to be sure this is
    > worth signing up to or whether I should walk away.
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    I faced the same choice about 5 years ago, but I walked away.
    Looking closely at the examples they gave for people getting jobs, none
    of the jobs seemed too impresssive (and presumably these were the very
    best examples). I also asked friends working in the software industry
    to ask around and see if the qualifications would impress people in an
    interview. The overwhelming answer was 'no'.
    In the end I bought some books and started studying at home. After a
    couple of months I got a software job that seemed rather better than any
    of the Computeach examples.

    This is, of course, purely one person's experience and things may be
    different for you. I hope it helps, however.

    Graeme Cogger, Aug 22, 2003

  2. > Nick Worley wrote:

    > > I've just had someone from the UK-based home-learning firm Computeach

    come
    > > round to my house to sell me their C++/Visual C++ course after I sent

    them
    > > my details after seeing a TV advert. The course involves 500 hours of

    home
    > > study (the time it takes to complete obviously depends on how much work

    you
    > > put in in your free time, although 6 months to a year is doable), costs
    > > nearly GBP 4,000 (4,000 pounds sterling) and leads to the Microsoft
    > > Certified Professional (MCP) qualification. The rep claimed their

    courses
    > > are job-oriented (rather than purely academic) and the percentage of
    > > students getting programming jobs at the end of the course is over 80%

    with
    > > programming salaries ranging between GBP 20k and GBP 35k a year. The rep
    > > gave me all sorts of other wonderful facts and figures, most of which I

    have
    > > no way of checking or confirming, but I wonder if anyone could answer

    some
    > > queries I have about Computeach:
    > > - is the firm reputable?
    > > - has anyone here done any of their courses and would you recommend

    doing
    > > any of them?
    > > - is the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) qualification worth

    having -
    > > will it lead to all the wonderful jobs the rep was claiming?
    > > Clearly 4 grand is not an insubstantial amount and I want to be sure

    this is
    > > worth signing up to or whether I should walk away.
    > > Thanks
    > > Nick

    Qualification AND experience is essential in getting the job you want. That
    said, there is no harm in obtaining this certificate except for the wallet
    factor. Try searching around for a better deal. Personally, I would rather
    do a C++ course at a university than to study at home... and it would seem
    cheaper than the package this rep is trying to sell you. And I can't stress
    enough the importance of getting experience.

    KKH

    Newsnet Customer, Aug 24, 2003