Re: Inserting mathematics in a Jsp page

Discussion in 'Java' started by Michael N. Christoff, May 31, 2004.

  1. "Francesco M." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all!
    > I need to insert maths and Algebric expressions in a Jsp
    > page. Does anybody has tried to do it and maybe could
    > give an advice ? thanks a lot
    > Francesco

    Unless the expressions need to be dynamic, common practice is to simply
    render them as .jpgs and embed them in the page as usual. Using MathML is
    cool, except not universally supported (IE for example). Also, converting,
    say, MS word docs with math in them to html is also not advised for the same
    reason.

    I would suggest using jpegs, but also include the expression in plain text
    (either in MathML or TEX) as the alternate text for the graphic.

    l8r, Mike N. Christoff
    Michael N. Christoff, May 31, 2004

  2. Michael N. Christoff

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:11:37 -0400, "Michael N. Christoff"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I would suggest using jpegs, but also include the expression in plain text
    >(either in MathML or TEX) as the alternate text for the graphic.

    The other approach is to do what you can with <sup> and <sub> and the
    various entities. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html.

    For anything complicated to could revert to an Applet or a PNG
    filemage if you can prepare it ahead of time.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 1, 2004