Re: installation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ned Deily, Feb 26, 2013.

  1. Ned Deily

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Pruitt <> wrote:

    > I installed Python 3.3 for the Mac (10.6.8), but I did not get the
    > interpreter installed. I get IDLE and the Launcher, but no interpreter. At
    > least I can't find it.
    >
    > I thought maybe it updated /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. No
    > luck. I guess my question is how do I get the latest interpreter installed?

    If you used one of the python.org installers for OS X, it installs into
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. /System/Library/Frameworks is
    where the Apple-supplied Pythons are located. You should not attempt to
    alter or delete files there.

    To use the new Python you should ensure that the framework bin directory
    is added to the front of your shell PATH environment variable. For
    Python 2 installs, the installer does this automatically by default. For
    Python 3 installs, the installer does not. However you can double-click
    the Update Shell Profile command in the /Applications/Python 3.3 folder.
    After it completes, open a new terminal window and you should find that
    python3.3 is now available. You can also manually edit your
    ..bash_profile or other relevant shell startup file:

    PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/bin:${PATH}"
    export PATH

    --
    Ned Deily,

    Ned Deily, Feb 26, 2013