Re: Instant messaging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Peter O'Reilly, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Has anyone built a web-based instant messaging system - or bought one?

    Yahoo, AOL, MSN...free...it's hard to beat. ;-)
    --
    Peter O'Reilly

    Peter O'Reilly, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Peter O'Reilly

    Guest Guest

    i think you missed the point

    WEB-based

    also, not a public network - something that can be used to allow 2 people on
    the same web-site to communicate with each other - like chat, but one-on-one

    Guest, Jul 25, 2003

  3. <> wrote in message
    > i think you missed the point

    I don't think so. Not in the least.

    > WEB-based
    >
    > also, not a public network

    You mean like a private world wide WEB :) The ones I cited use the HTTP
    protocol; in that respect they are "web" based. I presume that is what you
    mean.

    >>>- something that can be used to allow 2 people on

    > the same web-site to communicate with each other - like chat, but

    one-on-one

    Since *private* (not originally specified in your 1st message), one could
    have fun building a UI wrapper to the Windows "net send " command statement
    and do so on the cheap, too or use Microsoft chat one of those hidden, long
    last forgotten utilities nobody seems to use. Ok, its not WEB -
    nevermind.

    How private things are (which you did not allude to in your 1st message) is
    a matter of network setup, i.e. parameters that exist outside of ASP.NET.

    Regarding ASP.NET and the .NET framework, you can use HTTP or TCP protocols
    to communicate. Like AOL, MSN, and Yahoo, you will need to develop a small
    memory resident desktop "listener" application or windows service. This
    listener application is also where the user types and sends chat messages.
    With this listener application you would incorporate .NET web services to
    communicate with other participants sending SOAP formatted HTTP
    requests/responses. The .NET web services framework takes care of the
    SOAPing seemlessly for you.

    Another ASP.NET specific server application logic would need to be written
    to relay the message sent from person A to person B and vice versa. This
    app would also tell your listener app who is logged in, etc.

    That's how it would be done in .NET.

    Good luck!

    --
    Peter O'Reilly

    Peter O'Reilly, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Peter O'Reilly

    Guest Guest

    lol,

    nah, i didn't mean the communication should be web-based, i meant the client
    should be web-based!!!!!

    Guest, Jul 28, 2003