Re: interfacing with x86_64 assembler

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Lawrence, Aug 31, 2012.

  1. On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:
    > Worryingly
    >
    > I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
    > when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
    > by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)
    >
    > Who'd have thought it.
    >
    > lipska

    What's wrong with structured assembler? :)

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.

    Mark Lawrence, Aug 31, 2012

  2. On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

    >> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
    >> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
    >> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

    > What's wrong with structured assembler? :)

    Nothing -- it's called "C".

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Not SENSUOUS ... only
    at "FROLICSOME" ... and in

    Grant Edwards, Aug 31, 2012

  3. On 31/08/2012 14:58, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    >> On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

    >>> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today
    >>> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code
    >>> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

    >> What's wrong with structured assembler? :)

    > Nothing -- it's called "C".

    <groan>
    You cannot be Cerious
    </groan>

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.

    Mark Lawrence, Aug 31, 2012
  4. On Friday, 31 August 2012 19:28:11 UTC+5:30, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2012-08-31, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 31/08/2012 14:40, lipska the kat wrote:

    > >> I was hacking away at some x86_64 assembler today

    > >> when I found myself obsessively indenting my code

    > >> by EXACTLY 4 spaces or (multiples thereof)

    > > What's wrong with structured assembler? :)

    > Nothing -- it's called "C".
    >

    > --
    >
    > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Not SENSUOUS ... only
    >
    > at "FROLICSOME" ... and in
    >
    > gmail.com need of DENTAL WORK ... in
    >
    > PAIN!!!

    Very much true. In fact C is by definition assembly (as the creators just added whatever features the machine supported to C)

    Ramchandra Apte, Sep 1, 2012
  5. Mark Lawrence

    John Ladasky Guest

    I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?

    "C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

    John Ladasky, Sep 2, 2012
  6. On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM, John Ladasky
    <> wrote:
    > I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?
    >
    > "C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

    Seen it, and it has validity. But I'd rather work with C than actual
    assembly any day. And these days, C code is just a bunch of directives
    specifying how a compiler should build a program; optimizing compilers
    add, remove, reorder, whatever they think fit. It's a pretty high
    level language now.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Sep 2, 2012
  7. On Sunday, 2 September 2012 06:06:06 UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM, John Ladasky
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I haven't seen this joke on the Net in years, does anyone still remember it?

    > > "C combines the power of assembly language with the readability and maintainability of assembly language."

    > Seen it, and it has validity. But I'd rather work with C than actual
    >
    > assembly any day. And these days, C code is just a bunch of directives
    >
    > specifying how a compiler should build a program; optimizing compilers
    >
    > add, remove, reorder, whatever they think fit. It's a pretty high
    >
    > level language now.
    >

    > ChrisA

    I thought it was like this:
    assembly a low level language