Re: Intermittent "Page Loading" Screens

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. It sounds like you should consider using multithreading.
    By running the long process on a separate thread, you free the browser up to
    do other things, such as display the current status of the task.
    That way the browser will respond immediately with a new page and can
    entertain the user while they wait with an animation or status bar.
    You can have the browser refresh the status by putting an HTML line like
    this in your code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="3">
    That will cause the browser to refresh every 3 seconds (and you can check
    the status of the operation each time and redirect to a "done" page when
    appropriate.)
    Here's more details:
    http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_11/magazine/features/chester/
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=547

    Another option is that you could call a web service from your client side
    JScript. Use the web service behavior for this. (WebService.htc) This
    technique works with IE only.
    Here's more details:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/behaviors/overview.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads...rnet/behaviors/library/webservice/default.asp

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    Ram Guest

    If you just want to display a simple message like "Please wait

    Create a DIV tag for the complete page size and have an animated image
    in it to show that the page is loading. On the page load hide this
    layer and on unload of the page bring it to the top(z-index) and show
    it. If you use smart navigation, this page will be shown until your
    long reaquest gets completed and displayed in the browser.

    I did this in one of my projects and my queries may run longer than
    six minutes. It is working fine and is in production.

    Thanks
    Ram

    Ram, Jul 31, 2003