Re: interpreter

Discussion in 'Python' started by Skip Montanaro, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. (redirecting away from webmaster and to )

    > I'm using python to create a program for my science fair project, and
    > I'm going to present it on a rather ancient laptop that has windows
    > 95. Unfortunately it only has a floppy port so I can't install
    > anything bigger than that, and I was wondering how I could just
    > download the python interpreter, without idle and all the other stuff,
    > so I can run the program for my presentation. Is there a way to
    > separate it once you have downloaded the rest of it onto a different
    > computer?

    Assuming you run the installer on another machine with more space, you
    should be able to delete the parts you don't want and zip up the remainder
    into a small enough package which will fit on a floppy. Does it have to run
    from the floppy as well? If not, you can be less ruthless in what you
    delete and zip up pieces of the Python tree onto multiple floppies. (In
    fact, WinZip or other zip utilities may know about saving across multiple
    floppies.)

    Also, double-check that the version of Python you want to use will run on
    Win95. I suspect it will, but I doubt Python gets a lot of testing there
    these days.

    Good luck with the science fair project...

    --
    Skip Montanaro
    Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/

    Skip Montanaro, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Skip Montanaro fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 07 October 2003
    04:51 am:

    > delete and zip up pieces of the Python tree onto multiple floppies.
    > (In fact, WinZip or other zip utilities may know about saving across
    > multiple floppies.)

    Assuming that the laptop has sufficient hard-disk space, it may not be
    neccessary to unzip/re-zip... I'm sure there are some old chunker
    utilities around that will split an existing large file into floppy
    sized chunks, and then recombine the chunks on the destination side.
    This would permit the use of the full python installer rather than
    manually recreating the directory structure.

    A Google search on "file splitter" pops up a few relevant links.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Skip Montanaro

    John J. Lee Guest

    Dennis Lee Bieber <> writes:

    > Skip Montanaro fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 07 October 2003
    > 04:51 am:
    >
    > > delete and zip up pieces of the Python tree onto multiple floppies.
    > > (In fact, WinZip or other zip utilities may know about saving across
    > > multiple floppies.)
    > >

    > Assuming that the laptop has sufficient hard-disk space, it may not be
    > neccessary to unzip/re-zip... I'm sure there are some old chunker
    > utilities around that will split an existing large file into floppy
    > sized chunks, and then recombine the chunks on the destination side.
    > This would permit the use of the full python installer rather than
    > manually recreating the directory structure.
    >
    > A Google search on "file splitter" pops up a few relevant links.

    Better than that

    http://www.cleaton.net/ras/

    quote:

    RAS is a program that adds m extra files to a set of n files, such
    that the contents of the n original files can be regenerated from any
    n of the n+m original files and extra files. Normally, these extra
    files will all be 6 bytes larger then the largest of the original
    files, but ras has a mode in which the extra files are exactly the
    same size as the original files. There is an upper limit of 256 on
    n+m.

    RAS was originally intended for transporting a large file split over
    several floppy disks in a manner resilient to the corruption of a few
    of the disks, and an example of a pair of shell scripts to do this
    (rassplit and rasmerge) is included in the distribution.

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 8, 2003