Re: interpreter

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brad Clements, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. If your laptop has a pcmcia slot, you could borrow an ethernet card and
    download the full python from the internet. If you only have a parallel
    port, you can use Microsoft peer-to-peer using a "loopback" parallel cable
    to copy directly between two PCs

    There's always a way to avoid floppies :)

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    _
    "Skip Montanaro" <> wrote in message

    > (redirecting away from webmaster and to )
    >
    > > I'm using python to create a program for my science fair project,

    and
    > > I'm going to present it on a rather ancient laptop that has windows
    > > 95. Unfortunately it only has a floppy port so I can't install
    > > anything bigger than that, and I was wondering how I could just
    > > download the python interpreter, without idle and all the other

    stuff,
    > > so I can run the program for my presentation. Is there a way to
    > > separate it once you have downloaded the rest of it onto a different
    > > computer?

    > Assuming you run the installer on another machine with more space, you
    > should be able to delete the parts you don't want and zip up the remainder
    > into a small enough package which will fit on a floppy. Does it have to

    run

    Brad Clements, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Brad Clements

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Brad Clements" <> writes:

    > If your laptop has a pcmcia slot, you could borrow an ethernet card and
    > download the full python from the internet. If you only have a parallel
    > port, you can use Microsoft peer-to-peer using a "loopback" parallel cable
    > to copy directly between two PCs
    >
    > There's always a way to avoid floppies :)

    Hah, he should think himself lucky. A few years ago I had an old 486
    laptop with only a serial port, and a weird BIOS setup that would
    refuse to boot with anything but a DOS MBR (which I discovered by
    experiment ;-)...

    My solution was to remove the hard disk, stick in another laptop, and
    copy stuff across using the other laptop's network card & CDROM drive.
    You can get a cheap adapter to put a laptop drive in a desktop, if you
    don't have access to another laptop.

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 8, 2003