Re: Is Perl dying or not?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Kevin Walzer, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. Kevin Walzer

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    On 10/19/12 10:43 PM, Ignoramus7380 wrote:
    > Lately, I have been seeing a lot of evidence that adoption and use
    > of perl declines in favor of superficially "easier" languages. The
    > number of developers, commits, activity etc seems to be dropping. Even
    > this newsgroup seems to be declining faster than Usenet in general.

    I can't speak to the relative decline of this newsgroup, but I can say
    that I'm learning Perl precisely because it seems to be actively
    maintained, developed, and supported. I say this as one who has done
    programming in several different languages (Tcl, Python, C/Objective-C,
    AppleScript, a bit of JavaScript). Perl may no longer the TEH SEXY the
    way Ruby is, but I was very disappointed in Ruby's options for building
    and deploying desktop apps (non-existent on the Mac); by contrast, just
    a little bit of dabbling with a simple Perl::Tkx script, pp, and PAR,
    and I had a fully standalone desktop executable ready for deployment.

    I'm still getting my head around lots of aspects of Perl, but the
    deployment question was answered with a resounding yes--I'm sold.

    --Kevin

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin