Re: Is Perl dying or not?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rainer Weikusat, Oct 25, 2012.

  1. Andrew Gideon <> writes:
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:43:53 -0500, Ignoramus7380 wrote:
    >
    >> Lately, I have been seeing a lot of evidence that adoption and use of
    >> perl declines in favor of superficially "easier" languages.

    > I had to spend time again today dealing with code written in one of those
    > "easier" languages. It was a completely hardcoded piece of crap, and the
    > client was unhappy that the code was no longer working following some
    > content - read: data - changes.

    [...]

    > But sometimes I think we've made programming too easy - or at least too
    > easy in environments not sufficiently restrictive.

    I think this is wrong. 'Making programming easy' usually (and very
    incorrectly) refers to reducing the amount of code which needs to be
    written in order to deal with issues arising because of 'the solution
    domain', the classic example would be memory management. But what
    makes programming hard is not that this awful computer contains so
    much stuff which doesn't exist anywhere outside of it (such as memory
    which needs to be managed) but to come up with an algorithm capable
    of solving a particular problem. Getting the problem-domain specific
    stuff wrong will usually not prevent a program from functioning
    because of technical reasons. Consequently, when manual memory
    management is required, careless or clueless programmers will learn
    that well enough to keep their programs from 'crashing' (or showing
    any other obvious signs of a malfunction) but they will still produce
    incorrect results.

    Rainer Weikusat, Oct 25, 2012