Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Hrivnak, Jul 29, 2012.

  1. http://www.djangosites.org/

    Instagram, Pinterest, Washington Post, and The Onion all use djangoto
    run their websites.

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1906795/what-are-some-famous-websites-built-in-django

    Django is of course a very highly-regarded web framework written in
    python, but there are other good python frameworks out there with
    strong user bases.

    Python is used frequently on the server side of web applications for
    sites of all sizes, with the UI generally being done in javascript.
    It's also used heavily for administrative purposes such as:

    - Operating system installer: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda
    - Software repository management: http://pulpproject.org/
    - Software package installation:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Software_Center
    - Cloud computing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

    You can write web applications that scale automatically on hosting
    services like:
    - Google App Engine: https://developers.google.com/appengine/
    - OpenShift: http://openshift.redhat.com/
    - Heroku: http://www.heroku.com/

    In sum, python is used widely for a variety of purposes by some of the
    largest enterprises down to very small projects.

    Michael

    Michael Hrivnak, Jul 29, 2012

  2. Michael Hrivnak schrieb:

    > Python is used frequently on the server side of web applications for
    > sites of all sizes, with the UI generally being done in javascript.

    Two large companies with lots of python code are dropbox and youtube:

    http://highscalability.com/blog/201...ox-one-million-files-saved-every-15-minu.html
    http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/3/26/7-years-of-youtube-scalability-lessons-in-30-minutes.html

    > It's also used heavily for administrative purposes such as:
    >
    > - Operating system installer: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda
    > - Software repository management: http://pulpproject.org/
    > - Software package installation:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Software_Center
    > - Cloud computing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

    - Frameworks/tools like func, fabric or ipython are used in medium and
    large networks/"clouds".
    - Python is also used a lot for admin tasks instead of shell scripts.
    - I know IBM WebSphere is not the favorite choice as an application server
    for most Java programmers *g*, but it uses Jython for the admin CLI.

    python and python based tools are used for engineering and scientific
    computing - some random examples: numpy, Sage, matplotlib, NetworkX.

    Regards,
    Bernd

    Bernd Waterkamp, Jul 29, 2012

  3. Michael Hrivnak wrote:

    > Python is used frequently on the server side of web applications for
    > sites of all sizes, with the UI generally being done in javascript.

    There is no javascript.

    --
    PointedEars

    Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 29, 2012